Dr. Andreas Dehio
Financial Regulation Partner, Frankfurt
“I focus on financial regulation, advising banks, financial institutions and corporates on the impact on their businesses of complex and changing regulations in a wide range of jurisdictions. I have in-depth knowledge of the banking sector and aim to provide clients with legally robust, pragmatic and commercially realistic advice that avoids legal jargon. I also have special expertise in regulatory enforcement matters and regulatory investigations.”
Education and qualifications
Andreas has specialist experience in banking supervisory, investment funds and securities trading law. He advises financial services firms on their major M&A transactions and assists them with investigations and enforcement by regulators, as well as on bank resolution and other crisis management situations.
He is recommended by JUVE as a lawyer in the field of banking and banking supervisory law (JUVE Handbook 2022/2023) and is led by Chambers as one of the leading advisors in the areas of regulatory and fintech (Chambers Europe 2022, Banking & Finance: Regulatory; Fintech Legal - Germany). He is listed by Legal 500 under "Next Generation Names" (Legal 500 Germany 2023, Banking and Finance Law: Financial Market Authority) and was also included in the list of "45 under 45" by the Global Banking Regulation Review.
Andreas has advised on a wide range of business-critical matters. These include advising:
- Advent International, Centerbridge and their co-investors: Advising on the regulatory process in connection with the voluntary takeover offer to acquire S-Dax-listed Aareal Bank AG.
- Several international investment banks on their strategic considerations in light of Brexit in particular on licensing/European Passport issues, corporate governance and risk management as well as compliance and AML matters
- Apple Inc. on regulatory questions
- IG Markets on setting up a trading platform and on the restructuring of IG’s European business activities
- Deutsche Börse on the proposed all-share merger of equals with London Stock Exchange Group, on the acquisition of all shares of Eurex from Swiss Six Group as well as on the proposed business combination with NYSE Euronext
- the German Federal States of Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein on the stabilization, restructuring and sale of HSH Nordbank
- RHJ International (RHJI)/Kleinwort Benson Group on the purchase of BHF-Bank from Deutsche Bank as well as subsequently on the integration of BHF-Bank into the RHJI Group and the reorganisation of the RHJI Group
- Bank Julius Bär Europe on the takeover of the retail client business from Bank of America Merrill Lynch and its subsequent integration
- UniCredit and Pioneer Investment on the sale of the asset management business of Pioneer
- numerous clients from financial services sector entities: advising on regulatory investigations and contentious regulatory matters.
- UBS: advising on the sale of its Spanish private wealth management business to Singular Bank.
Education and qualifications
Andreas studied law at the University of Saarland and Ruprecht-Karls-University, Heidelberg, and holds a doctorate from the same university, including as a visiting research fellow at the Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts.