TMT Partner, Brussels
“In a world where digitalisation touches every part of the economy and disruption is fast becoming the new norm, I assist my clients by combining in-depth knowledge of the underlying technologies with a strong legal background in data protection, technology and telecommunications law.”
Education and qualifications
Guillaume’s practice focuses on data protection, information technology (IT) and electronic communication-related matters.
Guillaume has extensive experience assisting both Belgian and international clients in the context of complex cross-border and cross-practice transactional and regulatory matters in sectors such as banking, healthcare, technology, logistics and energy, with a special focus on data protection compliance (including in-depth knowledge of the GDPR). He combines this with a wide-ranging expertise advising clients regarding technology contracts, including (IT) outsourcing, cloud computing and software-as-a-service related agreements. He also has experience with litigation in his area of expertise and has worked on numerous matters subject to data protection and telecommunication regulatory authorities.
He is also particularly active in the FinTech sector, assisting established businesses and new market entrants to harness the opportunities that the related technologies present, while helping them to manage challenges of disruption in highly regulated markets and the need for legal certainty.
Guillaume has been recognised as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ in the area of data protection as well as in IT and telecoms in Belgium (Legal 500, Belgium, 2022). He is praised for being "very hands on and flexible” and clients particularly enthuse that he is "great, always available and responds very quickly” (Chambers Europe, 2022).
Guillaume has advised on a wide range of major transactions. His recent transactions include advising:
- a leading multinational company that leases transport equipment with the drafting and negotiation of a telematics agreement enabling it to equip its assets with a fleet management system using telematics technology
- a Japanese international technology giant on various ‘Internet of Things’-related matters as well as in relation to CCTV and facial recognition
- a large international bank on the updating of its online banking terms to incorporate the provision of services based on a “robo-advice” tool
- an international pharmaceutical company in the development of a GDPR-compliant online patient support program
- one of the world leaders in mineral extraction for the implementation throughout the group of all data protection regulatory aspects of a cloud solution related to HR data
- an energy company in its dealings with the Belgian Data Protection Authority due to alleged infringements of the GDPR
- a multinational insurance company in relation to alleged hacking practices directed towards some of its competitors
Guillaume joined Linklaters in 2007 and became Managing Associate in 2013. He was subsequently appointed Counsel in 2017 and elected Partner in 2020.
Guillaume is an active member of the Digital Economy Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce to the EU.
He lectured on data protection at the Solvay Brussels Business School and frequently presents and publishes on matters in that area.
Education and qualifications
Guillaume holds a Master’s in Law from the University of Leuven and an LL.M in Computer and Communication Law from the University of London.
He speaks French, Dutch and English.