Managing Associate, Litigation, Arbitration, Investigations and Sports, London
"I am an experienced Managing Associate, with a specialism in overseeing complex and high value competition and commercial litigation disputes. I am an integral member of the firm’s Sports sector and have acted on a range of contentious and advisory sports regulatory matters, including for the Premier League. I have advised on a broad range of contentious and advisory matters in a number of sectors (including financial, pharmaceutical, mining and sports) and have acted on disputes before the High Court, Competition Appeal Tribunal, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court."
Education and qualifications
Jason trained at the firm (including a secondment to the firm’s Banking team in the Paris office) and also undertook a further six-month client secondment within Credit Suisse’s Litigation & Investigations team. He was promoted to Managing Associate in 2020.
In addition to acting for Visa on the interchange fee litigation for a number of years and having developed experience of complex cross-border litigation, Jason also has experience of supporting clients in defending competition collective actions before the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
He has a wealth of experience of managing contentious competition and commercial law disputes and advising on sports regulatory matters.
Jason is a regular contributor to blogs and podcasts and a speaker at seminars on competition law and sports regulatory issues.
Jason’s recent matters include:
- Acting for Visa in relation to the long-running UK and cross-border interchange fee litigation for alleged breaches of EU and domestic competition law, including in the Sainsbury’s proceedings before the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court and the second wave of claims currently before the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
- Acting for Visa in relation to the ATM fee litigation for alleged breaches of EU and domestic competition law brought by Euronet before the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
- Acting for a UK company in relation to threatened competition collective proceedings for an alleged abuse of a dominant position.
- Advising a large pharmaceuticals company in relation to an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority into alleged breaches of competition law regarding the supply of certain medications.
- Advising the Premier League on its position in relation to the controversial European Super League (ESL) project, a proposed annual club football competition between 20 European football clubs, together with other complex regulatory matters.
- Advising the Association of Football Agents in relation to a potential claim regarding FIFA’s regulations on agents and intermediaries, including from a competition law perspective.
Education and qualifications
Published articles with Bloomberg Law, Global Competition Review and TechUK in relation to collective competition proceedings.
Published co-author in The Licensing Journal regarding a sports dispute: ‘Spotlight on Matching Clauses in UK Football Sponsorship Deal’.
Presented at London International Disputes Week in May 2023 regarding ‘The Rising Value of Data in Sport: Opportunity, Optimisation and Dispute’.
Regularly features on podcasts in relation to sports law issues, including in relation to:
Financial Fair Play and other financial regulation issues.
Sports podcasts – with Linklaters and Control Risks.
Covid-19 and contractual issues arising in football as a result. Jason also advised a global broadcaster in relation to complex contractual issues flowing from the potential postponement or cancellation of a number of sporting events as a result of the global pandemic.