Corporate Partner, London
Education and qualifications
Jonathan advises corporates on public and private mergers and acquisitions, demergers and investments and provides ongoing corporate governance and Board advice to the firm’s listed clients. He has wide experience on major equity capital markets transactions (both IPOs and secondary capital raisings), including representing both issuers and underwriters. Jonathan aims to combine technical skill and in-depth experience with a calm and approachable manner to facilitate clients’ strategically important deals.
Jonathan spent two years on secondment to the firm’s Hong Kong office between 2009 and 2012, providing him with significant experience of the Hong Kong and Asian market, and three months on secondment to Rio Tinto in 2012, assisting with a range of corporate transactions.
Jonathan has gained significant experience in a wide range of corporate transactions. Recently, these include advising:
- Mitie on its £271m acquisition of Interserve Facilities Management, together with its related £201m rights issue and extension of its £250m RCF;
- Metro Bank on its IPO in 2016, its subsequent ABB non pre-emptive placings for £300m in 2017 and 2018, its £375m placing in 2019, in connection with the PRA and FCA investigations and governance and Board matters;
- Rio Tinto on the sale of its 68% stake Rössing Uranium Mine Namibia to China National Uranium Corporation Limited for up to $106.5m;
- ORIX on its $2.2bn acquisition from the HNA Group of a 30% stake in the aircraft leasing business of Avolon Holdings Limited and its $60m investment into OurCrowd, an Israel based VC crowdfunding platform;
- Travis Perkins on the sale of its wholesale domestic P&H business to Newbury Investments and its proposed demerger of Wickes;
- Sofina in connection with its c.10% investment into The Hut Group, governance rights, its Board seat and the related IPO of The Hut Group in London (with an opening valuation of £5.4bn);
- Kier on its £264m rights issue in 2018 and its acquisition of Mouchel and related rights issue of £340m in 2015;
- Steinhoff in connection with the financial irregularities announced in December 2017, the restructuring of c.€10bn of debt implemented by way of CVAs, the connected reorganisation of the European business and on-going governance and Board matters;
- Amec Foster Wheeler on its recommended £2.3bn public M&A takeover by John Wood Group, initially advising Amec Foster Wheeler on its planned rights issue and culminating in advising on the £230m private divestment of its UK oil and gas business to WorleyParsons;
- Schneider Electric on its £3bn reverse takeover of AVEVA Group, which involved Schneider Electric carving out and contributing its global software business together with £550m to take a 60% stake in the enlarged premium listed AVEVA Group - the global reorganisation and carve-out requiring co-ordination across 17 of the firm’s offices;
- Sibanye-Stillwater on its £285m recommended public M&A takeover of Lonmin
Education and qualifications
Jonathan studied economics and geography at Exeter University and obtained his PGDL and LPC at BPP Law School London.