Energy & Infrastructure Partner, Warsaw
“I am a versatile lawyer with more than 18 years’ experience of advising on complex energy and infrastructure transactions in Poland and in the CEE region. I have a commercial, can-do and practical approach to assisting clients achieve their business objectives, often advising on first-of-a-kind deals that require overcoming particular legal challenges.”
Education and qualifications
Patryk is a Polish qualified lawyer (radca prawny) and an authority in areas of law involving infrastructure and energy investments, as well as natural resources and environmental protection. He has led the firm’s Warsaw Energy & Infrastructure practice since 2014.
Patryk has a wealth of experience in matters involving the preparation, acquisition and financing of renewable and conventional energy investments, as well as on infrastructure investments, including toll motorways. When working in 2009-2012 for DONG Energy (now Oersted), Patryk and his team developed a standard for land (lease) contracts relating to onshore wind projects, which became the market standard precedent in Poland. Patryk’s interpretation of the “exclusivity right to the deposit rule” on behalf of Australian mining company Prairie Mining looking to invest in Poland was confirmed by the Polish Supreme Administrative Court and resulted in the amendment to Poland’s mining law.
Patryk was seconded to the firm’s Berlin office from September to December 2011, advising on renewable energy sources and on wind farm projects. Previously, he was seconded to the firm’s Bucharest office from November 2007 to June 2008, where he led the real estate team when his practice focused on real estate work.
Patryk has led and executed a host of projects related to the provision of comprehensive cross-border advice in energy law issues in Poland and CEE countries. These include advising:
- Meridiam and Urbaser consortium on a landmark PPP energy from waste project in Poland
- global offshore wind players Innogy and Iberdrola in their attempts to acquire shares in the first offshore wind farm projects in Poland
- infrastructure fund Mirova on its first onshore wind acquisition in Poland
- EBRD and Proparco on financing onshore wind farms in Ukraine
- the leading Polish motorway toll operator AWSA (co-owned by Meridiam) on key issues including renegotiations of the concession with the Polish government
- Qatari Diar, a real estate arm of the Qatar Investment Authority, on the acquisition of leisure resort and marina in Montenegro
Patryk is also the author of numerous publications and has spoken at industry conferences and training sessions concerning environmental and infrastructure issues. These include:
- CEE Legal Matters, Energy Transition and Digital Infrastructure – the drivers of the Polish legal market
- World Gas Intelligence, Polish Shale Prospects Recede Further
- CEE Legal Matters, PPP in Poland: Current Trends and Planned Legal Developments
- Webinar: Polish Power: Watching the transition, 2020
- XIII Conference of the Polish Wind Energy Association, Financing of offshore wind
- X Conference of the Polish Infrastructure and Construction, Polish infrastructure development - opportunities and challenges
Education and qualifications
Patryk studied law at the University of Wroclaw and business administration at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, US.
He speaks Polish, English and German.