Linklaters has been in Singapore for over 25 years. Being a central hub for activity across so many sectors and jurisdictions, our team advises clients in Singapore and across the wider South East Asia region.
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do and our team are working on some of the most unique and first-of-a-kind transactions and projects across the region, as new trends, transaction types and technologies emerge.
As one of the few international firms to be awarded a qualifying foreign law practice (QFLP) licence by the Singapore Ministry of Law, we practice Singapore law as well as English and U.S. law.
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- Etisalat on contractual and compliance elements related to their roll-out of a game-changing platform in the trade finance space, UAE Trade Connect. The recently launched blockchain-based trade finance platform uses distributed ledger technology, artificial intelligence and machine learning to inspect trade invoices and other trade related documents to scan for fraudulent and suspicious transactions.
- Trumid Holdings on its joint venture with the Singapore Exchange (SGX) and Hillhouse to launch an electronic Asian bond trading platform, Trumid XT. The platform will connect the commercial footprint and liquidity from SGX’s Bond Pro and Trumid’s Market Center in the United States, to provide a robust network for trading of Asian fixed income.
- BondEvalue on the launch of an electronic platform facilitating fractional ownership of bonds, the BondbloX Bond Exchange. This is the world’s first blockchain-based fractional bond trading platform and the first trade of digital bonds.
- AXA and Affin Bank Berhad on the sale of insurance operations in Malaysia to Generali for total cash proceeds of MYR 688m. At the same time, Generali proposes to acquire the remaining shares of MPI Generali Insurans Berhad (MPIG) and the business of MPIG is proposed to be transferred to AAGI. Following completion, Affin Bank will have a 30% stake in AAGI and AALI. The total deal value is MYR 1.3bn. This transaction is one of the largest insurance deals in Malaysia in recent years.
- Government of Malaysia on its issuance of US$800m trust certificates due 2031 and US$500m trust certificates due 2051. The joint offering was the highest oversubscription rate ever achieved by the Government of Malaysia. The issuance is the world’s first sovereign sustainability sukuk, with the proceeds to be used for eligible social and environmental projects.
- The joint lead managers on the uniquely structured US$325m senior secured US dollar high yield bond transaction by Mauritian special purpose vehicle, India Green Energy Holdings (IGEH). The proceeds were used to subscribe to 11 series of rupee denominated bonds issued by 11 subsidiaries of, and guaranteed by, ReNew Power, India's largest renewable energy company.
- Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation on receiving consent from bondholders to switch the benchmark underpinning its £250m floating rate covered bonds due 2023 from GBP LIBOR to SONIA (including consequential amendments to the underlying covered bond swaps). This consent is the first of its kind for the Asia market as organisations start transitioning to new risk-free rate benchmarks.
- The arrangers on the US$360m financing to fund Baring Private Equity Asia’s acquisition of a controlling stake in NIIT Technologies, an Indian company listed on both the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India.
- Seppure, a highly innovative and sustainable nanofiltration solutions venture, on various employment matters and staff incentivisation arrangements.
- A multinational consumer health and hygiene company on a high profile product liability dispute in Korea involving substantial civil and criminal litigation and a subsequent arbitration.
Our renowned experience is recognised by the market
"The team is very hard-working, very technically sharp and yet commercial, humble and friendly. What I value most is the very strong partner involvement"
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021, Banking & Finance (International) Singapore
"They are definitely one of the top law firms of choice to be appointed for all capital markets transactions. They are highly responsive and have extensive experience in the region."
Band 1 – Chambers Asia Pacific 2021, Capital markets (International firms) Singapore
"Linklaters is a popular choice for multinational corporations, banks, private equity investors and early-stage businesses. They are accessible and on top of the file, and they have open interactions with the client about commercial matters."
Band 1 – Chambers Asia Pacific 2021, Corporate/M&A (International firms) Singapore
"The team is extremely experienced and always comes up with practical and commercial solutions."
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021, Employment (International Firms) Singapore