We are acclaimed in the Japanese market for our ability to create the innovative, cutting-edge structures required for today’s rapidly evolving domestic and multi-jurisdictional transactions – a key competitive advantage for our clients in the current climate.
Over the last 30 years, Linklaters has advised on many of Japan’s most significant transactions in the areas of mergers & acquisitions (including acquisition finance and general corporate advice); private equity, banking, projects/energy & infrastructure, restructuring & insolvency, financial markets regulation, investment funds, capital markets (including derivatives & structured products, equity & debt capital markets and structured finance); and real estate (including real estate finance and securitisation of assets).
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- the underwriters on Nippon Steel Corporation's issuance of ¥300bn zero coupon convertible bonds.
- Carrier Global Corporation, a world leader in heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions, Toshiba's acquisition of a 55% stake in their joint venture, Toshiba Carrier Corporation.
- the sponsors on the financing of the 1GW+ Hai Long 2 and 3 offshore wind farm projects in Taiwan.
- Ardian on the formation and private placement of Clean H2 Infra Fund, the world’s largest clean hydrogen infrastructure investment fund.
- a consortium of leading domestic and international banks on LIBOR remediation projects on their structured products (across various currencies and instruments) and over-the-counter derivatives portfolios.
- ISDA on the implementation of the ISDA IBOR Fallbacks Protocol and Supplement (supplement no. 70) and Japanese translations thereof. We have continued to work for ISDA to lead the LIBOR reform project in Japan which is one of the most pressing matters affecting not only the derivatives market, but all LIBOR-referencing financial instruments.
- Macquarie’s Green Investment Group on the formation of a joint venture with global energy leader Iberdrola, and the co-development of a 3.3GW portfolio of six offshore wind projects in Japan.
- Morgan Stanley & Co. International Plc on US gold refining company, Asahi Refining USA Inc’s issuance of zero coupon guaranteed convertible bonds due 2026. This transaction was named "Innovative Equity Deal of the Year" by Refinitiv Japan in its DEALWATCH AWARDS 2020.
Our renowned experience is recognised by the market:
“The service level is very strong and stable across the firm," remarks a client, praising the team's expertise regarding "convertible bonds, equity offerings, ISDA and CSA derivative transactions."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Capital Markets: International: Securitisation & Derivatives
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Capital Markets: International: Asia and Euro Markets
“The team's performance is excellent… they are the most longstanding foreign firm in the capital markets space, providing excellent service in cross-border trades."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Capital Markets: Domestic: Securitisation & Derivatives
"They provide a high level of service because they can provide very quick and accurate advice, including on issues involving complicated circumstance."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Investment Funds
Best Law Firm – FinanceAsia Japan Achievement Awards (received seven of the 10 issued)
Asia Law Firm of the Year – PFI Awards 2019
Linklaters Tokyo is the business name of Gaikokuho Kyodo-Jigyo Horitsu Jimusho Linklaters, a firm organised under the Japanese Civil Code, which is affiliated to Linklaters LLP.