Managing Associate, Litigation, Arbitration & Investigations, London
“I specialise in banking and financial markets disputes, regulatory and internal investigations, mediations and crisis management, with a particular focus on derivatives and structured products.”
Education and qualifications
Michael is a Managing Associate in the Litigation practice in London. He has substantial experience of advising banks, asset managers, clearing houses, trading platforms, and listed companies on a broad range of contentious work, much of which is multijurisdictional.
He has in-depth knowledge of the banking and financial services sector, having trained and initially qualified in Linklaters’ Derivatives and Structured Products team in London, and worked in-house in the investment banking division of an Australian bank in Sydney.
Michael’s recent matters include:
- Providing legal and strategic advice to clients responding to crises in the financial services and construction sectors; this work has included conducting forensic investigations, engaging with regulators and key stakeholders, and advising on related litigation and insurance issues.
- Advising a major financial institution in relation to multiple regulatory investigations in parallel to group litigation proceedings, including providing tactical support on the interplay between the firm’s legal and regulatory position.
- Advising a broad range of clients on sanctions issues arising out of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, including exiting derivatives positions, managing loans exposure, assessing reputational risk, and applying for licences from the Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation.
- Successfully defending a European bank in relation to a claim brought in the High Court for damages arising out of breach of swaps contracts and allegations of deceit in connection with front-running, and overcharging.
- Advising on a multitude of contractual and non-contractual claims, legal professional privilege, as well as on matters of private international law specific to financial markets.
- Advising on complaints referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service, including general approach and strategy to numerous complaints arising out of the same or similar facts, and applying for judicial review of an Ombudsman’s final decision.
- Advising on the application of the Quincecare duty in the context of authorised push payment (and other similar) fraud.
- 2014-2016 Trainee Solicitor, London and Hong Kong.
- 2016-2017 Associate, Derivatives & Structured Products, London.
- 2018-2021 Associate, Litigation, London.
- 2021-present Managing Associate, Litigation, London.
Education and qualifications
Michael actively contributes to Banking Litigation blog posts. They can be found here: BankingLitigationLinks | Blogs | Insights | Linklaters