Sherry (Jiwei) Cui
Capital Markets Partner, Hong Kong SAR
“As one of the first generation of native Mandarin-speaking capital market lawyers in Hong Kong, I have extensive experience advising on a broad range of complex products across the credit spectrum. I am skilled at delivering pragmatic, legally sound and commercially focused advice that bridges challenging legal, cultural and practical differences and helps clients successfully structure and execute their most complex capital markets transactions.”
Education and qualifications
Sherry has extensive experience in international capital markets transactions, advising on the full range of capital market products, including investment grade debts, high-yield bonds, MTN programmes, regulatory capital and hybrids, equity-linked bonds, credit-enhanced and structured bonds, panda bonds and liability management.
Sherry has developed key relationships with leading international investment banks, as well as with China’s principal government organisations, financial institutions and leading SOEs and private enterprises.
Sherry was an active participant in the firm’s 2016 Women Leadership Programme. She is a keen advocate of equality and diversity in the workplace and is a mentor to many junior associates.
Sherry is a Hong Kong and English qualified partner based in Hong Kong. She has led on many ground-breaking transactions. Highlights include advising:
- Deutsche Bank on the Shanghai Port’s $1billion exchangeable bond into Postal Savings Bank of China -Best Equity Deal, FinanceAsia Achievements Awards and Debt Securities Deal of the Year, China Law and Practice.
- The Bank of China on its US$500m green covered bond issue, the first international bond issuance by a Chinese entity that is secured by PRC onshore assets. The highly complex deal was awarded Asia IFLR Structured Finance and Securitisation Deal of the Year and was shortlisted for FT Innovative Lawyers Awards under the category of Innovation in Legal Expertise Award.
- The People’s Bank of China on its debut direct issuance of CNY offerings in the London market. The deal was awarded IFR Best International RMB Bond Deal of the Year and The Asset Triple A Best International RMB Bond Deal of the Year.
- ICBC on its triple currency AT1 preference shares offering, which is the first Rule 144A preference share offering and the first Euro and first RMB denominated preference share offering. The deal was awarded China Law & Practice Awards 2015 - Debt & Equity-linked Deal of the Year and China Business Law Journal Awards 2015 – Best International Equity Capital Market Deal of the Year.
- Standard Chartered on its first panda bond issuance in the PRC interbank bond market, the first of its kind in the market.
- Cross-border investment grade and high yield bond issuances by leading SOEs and private enterprises, including Sinopec, China Great Wall Asset Management, China Jianyin Investment, China Reform Holdings, China General Nuclear Power, China National Travel Service Group, China Eastern Airlines, AVIC International, Tsinghua Holdings, Founder Group, Tus Holding, Beijing Capital Group, Beijing Construction Engineering, Beijing Capital Development, Shanghai Huayi, CCB Leasing, Guangzhou MTR, Poly Real Estate, Vanke and Oceanwide.
In 2017, Sherry was among a select number of lawyers nominated for the Rising Star award at the Finance, Euromoney Legal Media Group Asia Women in Business Law Awards.
She together with other partner have represented the firm in several expert consultation meetings organised by PBOC, Ministry of Finance and the National Association of Financial Market Institutional Investors (“NAFMII”) on the development of the panda bond market.
Education and qualifications
Sherry studied law at Sichuan University, China and holds a master’s in law from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland. She also completed Postgraduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice course with BBP Law School, London.
Sherry is fluent in both Mandarin and English