Managing Associate, Brussels
"I assist clients with complex transactions and issues in all different areas of tax law, including direct taxes, VAT and registration duties, thereby not only focusing on the tax technical aspects but also on the client’s strategic and commercial interest."
Sören is a Managing Associate in the Brussels tax group and has particular interest in Belgian and international tax law with an emphasis on domestic and cross-border M&A, real estate transactions and the structuring of incentive compensation plans. His practice also includes tax litigation and VAT matters.
Sören has advised and represented clients in a broad range of industries. These include advising:
- Various real estate companies on the tax structuring and due diligence in relation to certain share and/or asset deals. A recent deal concerned the contribution of the shares of six companies (holding nursing homes) into Cofinimmo
- AXA with respect to the tax structuring of the sale of AXA Bank Belgium to the Crelan group and the acquisition of Crelan Insurance by AXA Belgium as well as the tax structuring of the long-term commercial insurance partnership agreement between both groups
- Several companies in relation to tax audits (including dawn raids) and tax litigations (including a high profile case concerning an excess profit ruling) against the Belgian Tax Authorities (BBI/ISI)
- A major Belgian biotech company in relation to the filing of a cross-border VAT ruling (involving the Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Italy and Spain) with respect to the VAT treatment of transfer pricing corrections
- On the tax structuring of investment funds in typical Master/Feeder structures both at the level of the fund and of the corporate and individual investors.
Sören assists clients in Dutch, English and French.
- M. POSSOZ AND S. VANDEWEYER, “Belgium - Option to Subject the Letting of Immovable Property to VAT”, International VAT Monitor, 2019 (Volume 30), No. 3.