Bertrand is the Head of the Banking & Projects department in the Paris office who specialises in in structured finance, including major project financings, leveraged finance, banking, secured and unsecured syndicated loans, derivative products, insolvency and corporate restructuring.
Bertrand is also Co-Head of the Francophone Africa Desk and of the Infrastructure group in Paris.
Bertrand is ranked as a “Leading Lawyer” in all major professional directories, such as The Legal 500 EMEA, IFLR1000 and Chambers, where he is described as “without contest one of the best lawyers on the banking and finance scene in Paris” who “offers solid expertise across the structured
Bertrand is regularly involved on some of the most challenging, often ground-breaking transactions in both France and other Francophone countries.
Bertrand’s extensive knowledge in financing has made him a go-to consultant for key players on the market, acting alongside banks, insurance companies, funds, export credit agencies, development banks, equity sponsors, corporates and investors on complex financing transactions in various countries, including in emerging markets.
Bertrand recently led several high-profile deals including:
- Santiago Airport: Advising the sponsor consortium (Aéroports de Paris Management, S.A., VINCI Airports S.A.S. and Astaldi Concessioni SpA) in connection with the US$900mn expansion development and financing of the Arturo Merino Benitez Airport in Santiago, Chile
- Jorf Lasfar Independent Power Project Expansion: Acting as common counsel for the lenders comprising Export Credit Agencies (JBIC and NEXI of Japan and KEXIM of South Korea) and the Mandated Lead Arrangers (BNPP, Standard Chartered, Société Générale and Banque Centrale Populaire of Morocco) on the USD 1.4 billion equivalent multi-currency limited recourse project financing of the Jorf Lasfar IPP Expansion, involving the addition of 700MW of electrical generating capacity at the Sponsor's existing coal fired power complex in Morocco
- Azito Energie: Advising Azito Energie (a company owned by Globeleq and Industrial Promotion Services (West Africa) SA) on the multisourced project financing of the expansion of the Azito Power Station, in Côte d’Ivoire
- Advising on high speed rail PPPs in France, including the Brittany-Loire Region, Contournement Nîmes-Montpellier and Tours-Bordeaux high speed lines (LGV BPL, CNM and SEA) – 2012 Project Finance Magazine's European High-Speed Rail Deal of the Year – Nîmes-Montpellier
- Cameroon Smelter Projects: advising Rio Tinto (and its local subsidiary Alucam) on the extension of an existing aluminium smelter facility and the development of a new aluminium smelter together with the development of associated hydro power stations (ongoing)
- Exeltium: advising the lenders on the € multi-billion secured financing of upfront payments with respect to the purchase (by the “Exeltium” special purpose vehicle owned by a group of European electro-intensive companies) of blocks under long term power purchase arrangements
Bertrand holds a LLM degree from King’s College, London. He also holds a Maîtrise (International Business Law) and a Diplôme d'Etudes Approfondies (International Private Law) from the University of Paris I - Panthéon Sorbonne. Bertrand obtained his undergraduate degree in Public Law from the University of Lyon III - Jean Moulin.
Bertrand is a member of the Paris Bar, France.