Capital Markets Partner, Frankfurt
“I advise across the spectrum of capital markets products, including securitisations, bond issues and related regulatory capital matters, and on clearing and settlement issues. I have a particular affinity for uncovering and solving complex legal problems and aim to help clients complete deals efficiently and expertly.”
Education and qualifications
Burkhard has specialised experience in debt capital markets with a focus on structured finance, in particular, securitisation, asset-based finance transactions, factoring structured covered bonds, high yield bonds and other secured financing structures as well as in advising on the clearing through central counterparties, the settlement of securities and on client asset protection requirements and structures. Burkhard has led on a wide range of capital markets transactions.
He is rated as one of the “Next Generation Partners” in Legal 500 (Legal 500 Germany 2021, Capital markets, Structured finance and securitisation) and as “Highly regarded” in IFLR1000 (IFLR1000 2020, Debt, Structured finance and securitisation). Furthermore, Chambers Europe ranks him as one of the recommended lawyers in the area of structured finance in Germany (Chambers Europe 2020: Capital Markets: Structured Finance).
- a large German bank: advising on the first synthetic securitisation relating to portfolio of € 1.7 billion of SME and midcaps loan receivables.
- Eurex Clearing: advising including inter alia: on the expansion of the clearing offering of FX and cross-currency swaps and securities lending, including client-clearing features, on the introduction of a clearing model for US clients, on the preparation of the updated market legal opinion on the clearing models and on the direct transfer of securities in chains of transactions.
- IG Group Holdings: advising on the setting-up of a new turbo certificate platform as part of IG’s setting up of its new (continental) European trading hub in Germany.
- Main Incubator: advising on a blockchain based e-money payment method between electric trucks and charging stations that makes use of machine-to-machine communication and payments using Commerzbank as e-money issuer.
- Commerzbank: advising on the establishment of its SME Structured Covered Bond Programme, the first Structured Covered Bond Programme in Germany with a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV)-based asset ring-fencing structure using the refinancing register.
- European Investment Fund and European Investment Bank: advising on various synthetic securitisations and cash securitisation in Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic.
Burkhard regularly speaks at events organised by True Sale International (TSI), a body created by German banks to promote the use of structured finance in Germany. He is also a member of the German-American Lawyers Association and the Banking Law Association (Bankrechtliche Vereinigung).
Burkhard writes for trade publications and his articles include:
“Neue Vorschläge der EBA zur Förderung qualitativ hochwertiger Verbriefungen”, Immobilien & Finanzierung, August 2015
Education and qualifications
Burkhard studied law at the Universities of Mainz and Konstanz and holds an LL.M from the University of Michigan.
He speaks German and English.