Michael is a corporate partner who advises on a wide range of corporate, corporate finance and commercial matters around the world (including in emerging markets), with a focus on the Infrastructure and Consumer sectors. His main areas of practice include public and private acquisitions, corporate restructurings and joint ventures.
Michael’s recent experience in the Infrastructure sector includes advising:
- OMERS Infrastructure and Ontario Teachers Pension Plan on the acquisition and disposal of High Speed 1
- OMERS Infrastructure and Allianz Capital Partners on the acquisition of NET4GAS, the Czech gas network
- The sellers of the M6 toll road to IFM Investors
- Mitsui and ENGIE on the sale of four thermal power plants in the UK to Energy Capital Partners
- Balfour Beatty on the defence of the proposed takeover by Carillion
- Balfour Beatty on the sale of its Parsons Brinckerhoff infrastructure engineering business
- Balfour Beatty on the sale of its German rail business
Michael also has significant renewables experience, including recently advising:
- Mitsui on the sale of its interest in the First Hydro hydroelectric power plant in the UK to Brookfield
- Equitix Investment Management Limited and The Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited on the £558m acquisition of 40% of the share capital of Scira Offshore Energy Limited, the holding company of the Sheringham Shoal offshore wind farm
- A Japanese consortium on the acquisition of a significant interest in the Dudgeon offshore wind farm
Separately, Michael has enormous experience in the Consumer sector, advising multinational suppliers and retailers on a broad range of M&A transactions.
Michael is the Global Co-Head of Linklaters’ Consumer Sector.
2015 - date Partner, Corporate Department, Linklaters
2005 - 2015 Solicitor, Corporate Department, Linklaters
2003 - 2005 Trainee Solicitor, Linklaters
2001 - 2002 Nottingham Law School
1998 - 2001 University of Bristol