Corporate Counsel, Amsterdam
"I am a corporate lawyer within the Amsterdam corporate/M&A team. I lead the Dutch Energy Sector Team which advises on a range of energy related matters including renewables, oil and gas and other infrastructure assets. Acting as a trusted advisor to clients, I am keen to understand their business and give them tailored, efficient and pragmatic advice as a solution for their commercial issues and needs."
Education and qualifications
Gijs is knowledgeable on a wide range of energy market related matters including advising on transactions involving oil and gas companies, green-field projects, investments in renewables and regulatory matters. In addition, he is involved in various cross-border M&A and corporate restructurings and provides general corporate and transactional advice.
Gijs was seconded to the London corporate practice in 2013.
- First State Investments: advising on the acquisition of Caldic’s tank storage and production facilities in Europoort, the Netherlands.
- JUST EAT plc: advising this miscellaneous food and kindred product company on its £ 9bn recommended all-share combination with Takeaway.com.
- ENGIE: advising on the sale of its German and Dutch coal-fired powerplants to financial investor Riverstone and the related coal optimisation activities in Belgium.
- Alliance Automotive: advising on the acquisition of PartsPoint Group B.V.
- E.ON SE: advising on the completion of a worldwide intra-group restructuring as a milestone for the spin-off of its generation, exploration & production and energy trading business to its shareholders and the listing of shares in the new holding entity (Uniper).
- Centerbridge Partners: advising on the acquisition of Solidus Solutions, an European wide packaging group.
- Siemens Project Ventures GmbH: advising on the acquisition of a 20% participation in the 600MW offshore Gemini park in the Netherlands.
- Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.: advising on the acquisition (through an affiliate) of a controlling interest in Staples, Inc.'s European operations.
- member of the Dutch foundation for corporate litigation (Vereniging Corporate Litigation)
- member of the Dutch foundation for energy law (Nederlandse Vereniging voor Energierecht)