Investment Funds Partner, Global Head of Investment Funds Practice, London
"I advise on the structuring, management and operation of private investment funds, with a particular focus on real estate, private equity, credit and hedge funds. I want our clients to receive truly excellent service as well as excellent legal advice."
Education and qualifications
Matt is the global head of Linklaters’ investment funds practice. He advises on all aspects of private institutional investment products and transactions. Matt acts for both sponsors and investors and his experience covers the structuring and management of real estate funds, private equity and credit funds, their management, operation and related carry arrangements.
He also has considerable experience in private equity style joint ventures and equity syndication, fund financing (acting for both sponsors and banks), M&A related to independent and captive investment operations and secondary disposals of fund interests.
Matt advises on the legal and regulatory environment in which funds operate, including the consequences flowing from the UK’s Brexit referendum which voted to leave the European Union. He also advises major investors into funds, including a number of sovereign wealth and large cornerstone investors.
Matt has led on a wide range of complex investment fund transactions. These include advising:
- Macquarie Bank on the raising of a number of infrastructure debt funds
- Deutsche Bank Private Equity on a range of private equity secondaries and private equity funds
- a large Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund on the disposal of a US$2bn portfolio of private equity interests
- Alcentra, a company that invests in and lends to middle market companies, on the establishment of the Alcentra Special Situations Fund
- an international investment bank on the establishment of its real estate and private markets investment clubs
- Deutsche Bank on its liquid Alts fund managed account platform
- Aviva Investors Global Services Limited on the raising of a European alternative energy fund and a Tokyo property fund
- Cinven, a leading European private equity firm, on a €5.5bn fund and related group reorganisation
- Mitsubishi Corporation on the establishment of a renewable energy fund to invest in European wind farms in a joint venture with Green Power Investment Corporation