Capital Markets and Banking Partner, Luxembourg
"I focus on a wide range of transactions, from banking and structured finance to securitisation and financial regulation. With more than 20 years experience as a finance lawyer, I simplify complex issues for my clients."
Education and qualifications
Patrick is a partner of the Luxembourg capital markets and banking group and takes a lead in the overall coordination of the office’s real estate practice.
Patrick undertook the role of National Managing Partner between 2007 and 2010 and between 2016 and 2022. Patrick is a recognised expert by the industry in banking, restructuring and insolvency, structured finance (including tax-based and fund-linked products), asset finance, debt capital markets products and securitisation. He advises international financial groups and investors on the setting up and acquisition of Luxembourg banking and insurance businesses. This includes advising on regulatory requirements, product review and monetary policy matters.
Within leveraged finance, he has worked on the Luxembourg structuring of private equity deals for both lenders and sponsors. In his real estate finance practice, Patrick has acted for many lenders and borrowers on the financing of the acquisition and development of Luxembourg properties. He also has extensive knowledge of banking and lending regulatory issues
Patrick has been involved on many of Luxembourg’s most important finance transactions. These include advising:
- the Luxembourg Central Bank on the restructuring of the Luxembourg banking subsidiaries of Icelandic banks
- a number of banks as the lead managers on government bond issues by the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
- global bank based in the U.S. in judicial proceedings that involved enforcement of a Luxembourg law-governed share pledge arrangements
- State Street Bank on the restructuring of State Street’s EU activities
- Novo Banco on insolvency issues arising from the collapse of Grupo Espírito Santo (GES). Novo Banco was created in 2014 by the Bank of Portugal as a resolution measure in respect of Banco Espírito Santo (BES)
- Legend Holdings Corporation on the acquisition of 89.93645% of the shares in Banque Internationale à Luxembourg S.A
- a leading clearing house on the setting up of its initial margining products
Patrick sits on a number of industry committees in the financial sector.
Patrick often speaks to the wider market on the opportunities and challenges for Luxembourg’s financial sector. He also speaks frequently at conferences and is the author of several articles and publications.
Education and qualifications
Patrick studied law at the University of Liège, Belgium and Leiden, the Netherlands, and European and international trade law at the University of Leicester, UK, and also obtained a diploma in economics and management.
He speaks French, English and has a fair command of Dutch and German.