Financial Regulation Partner, Global Practice Head Financial Regulation Group, London
"I am a regulatory lawyer with a special interest in assisting our financial institution clients to manage and develop their businesses within complex, international regulatory environments. I bring longstanding expertise in financial regulatory matters and work to make complicated issues simple."
Education and qualifications
Peter is Global Head of Linklaters’ Financial Regulation Group and is a partner based in the London office.
Peter has developed close working relationships with the firm’s banking and investment management clients. His practice includes all aspects of financial markets regulatory advice for broker-dealers and investment banks. Peter advises investment managers, private banks, hedge funds and private equity funds on regulatory issues affecting them. He also advises clients on regulatory investigations into areas such as market conduct, client money compliance and transaction reporting failures.
Peter has particular experience of new product development and marketing, trading issues such as market abuse and regulatory structuring advice.
Earlier in his career, Peter was seconded to both Bankers Trust and Nomura, advising and assisting with the establishment of their respective securities financing businesses.
Peter has developed a wide-ranging financial regulatory practice. The breadth of his practice includes, advising on, amongst others:
- Regulatory change: advising numerous banks and investment firms on the implementation of regulatory reform initiatives including sustainable finance and ESG regulation, post-Brexit changes in the UK and EU, IFPR, MiFID2 and the FCA consumer duty
- New structures: advising on the creation and structuring of trading and clearing platforms, both internal crossing systems operated by firms and new market entrants including in the fintech sector
- Cross-border work: advising international banks, investment firms and market infrastructure on their European structures, to comply with regularly changing European regulations affecting financial institutions, including the ECB desk mapping review and CRD6
- Contentious regulatory: advising clients on regulatory investigations including skilled person reports, enforcement division investigations, supervisory reviews, applications by senior managers and applications for authorisation or variation of permissions
- Financial sector corporate activity: advising on internal structural reorganisation of banking groups, acquisition of regulated businesses including by private equity and financial sponsors, and special administrations of investment firms in insolvency
Peter’s wide experience of financial regulation means he is regularly called upon to contribute to industry bodies and regulators. His involvement includes the following:
- a member of the regulatory committee of the City of London Law Society (CLLS)
- an important contributor to work completed by the Association for Financial Markets in Europe (AFME) and the British Bankers’ Association (BBA)
- serving on expert panels for the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and its predecessor organisations