Gonçalo Veiga de Macedo
Finance and Energy & Infrastructure Counsel, Lisbon
“I am a finance lawyer with specialist knowledge of a broad spectrum of transactions with a debt component or linked to banks’ deleveraging. I am precise, responsive, efficient, innovative, a good negotiator and client-driven, with deep experience of multi-jurisdictional issues.”
Gonçalo represents financial institutions and companies in domestic and international financing and structured finance transactions. He has experience in M&A, real estate, projects, structured finance, restructuring and insolvency, and transactions in connection with banks’ deleveraging, including portfolio disposals and acquisition financings.
Gonçalo spent 10 months in total in the firm’s London office in 2005 and 2010 and four months in the firm’s São Paulo office in 2008.
Gonçalo has led on or been a key adviser on many important market deals. These include advising:
- the lender in the first vendor financing of the sale of the largest real estate-owned (REO) portfolio in the Portuguese market, including real estate assets located in Portugal and in Spain
- the sponsor in connection with a BRL200m export credit facility for the supply of equipment to construct a cement plant in Brazil
- a private equity bidder on the acquisition and debt structuring in connection with the privatisation of the Portuguese flag carrier
- the borrower on the €128m cross-border refinancing of two landmark hotels in Lisbon and Madrid
- the seller on the two largest NPL transactions in the Portuguese market
- an asset management company on the sale of the business unit responsible for the management of real estate assets and loan portfolios and on the negotiation of a servicing agreement regarding the management and sale of real estate assets and non-performing loans
- the investors on financing the acquisition of a €770m stake in a referenced road concessions holding vehicle
- the seller on the £3.9bn disposal of project finance portfolio (including global power, global oil & gas and infrastructure assets in the UK, EMEA, APAC and the Middle East)
- a private equity fund on the €985m refinancing of a wind farm portfolio and hydro portfolio and subsequent sale of the hydro portfolio
Goncalo studied law at the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, where he also later studied for a PhD. He was an Erasmus student at Pantheon-Sorbonne University, Paris.
He speaks English, Portuguese, Spanish and French.