Linklaters’ established our Foreign Legal Consultant Office in Seoul in July 2013. Leveraging our unique international capabilities and detailed understanding of the regulatory and business environment in Korea, we provide on-the-ground execution capabilities in both U.S. and English law, across key practice areas including M&A, private equity, foreign direct investment, outbound investment, corporate finance, capital markets, projects, energy and infrastructure, banking and finance.
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- NH Investment & Securities and NongHyup Financial Group on its acquisition from Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) of a minority interest in ADNOC Gas Pipelines, which will lease US$12bn gas pipelines and US$8bn gas fractionation facilities in Abu Dhabi, UAE. This award winning deal was recognised as “Oil & Gas Deal of the Year” by The Asset Triple A Infrastructure Awards 2021, “Middle East & Africa Infrastructure Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International (PFI) Awards 2020 and “Middle East North Africa Oil & Gas Deal of the Year” by IJ Global Awards 2020.
- A Korean consortium on its bid for the Sherabad, Samarkand and Jizzakh solar projects in Uzbekistan.
- BNP Paribas on Kookmin Bank's issuance of US$500m series 2020-10. 2.500% Tier II sustainability subordinated notes due 2030 under the US$8bn global medium term note programme This deal was recognised as the “Best Sustainability Bond: Banks(private bank)” by The Asset Triple A Sustainable Capital Markets Regional Awards 2020.
- Hyundai Motor Company on its acquisition of a 10.4% stake in Impact Coatings AB, a Swedish company listed on the Nasdaq First North Growth Market, which develops and commercialises innovative technology for physical vapor deposition surface treatment for fuel cells.
- Korea Trade Insurance Corporation and Nippon Export and Investment Insurance on the approx. US$3bn (NT$90bn) project financing of the 589MW Changfang and Xidao offshore wind project in Taiwan. This project was awarded: “Asia-Pacific Renewables Deal of the Year” by PFI Awards 2020, “Asia Pacific Export Finance & Project Finance deal of the year” by IJ Global Awards 2020 and “Asia Export Credit Agency Deal of the Year” by TXF Deals of the Year Awards 2020.
- Korea Midland Power on its acquisition of 100% equity interest in the target company which holds 75% of shares in the owner of three solar PV portfolios in Spain.
- Merrill Lynch International on the Korea Development Bank's issuance of US$500m 0.500% notes due 2023 and US$500m 0.800% notes due 2026. This deal was recognised as the “Best Social Bond: Banks (policy bank)” by The Asset Triple A Sustainable Capital Markets Regional Awards 2020.
- BNP Paribas on the Korea Development Bank's issuance of US$1bn series 807. 1.250% senior unsecured notes due 2025 under the US$15bn global MTN. This deal was awarded “Debt Market Deal of the Year” by Asian Legal Business Korea Law Awards 2020.
- Vung Ang II Thermal Power Joint Stock Company on the 1, 200MW Vung Ang II Thermal Power Project in Vietnam.
Our renowned experience is recognised by the market:
“The team remains one of the most highly regarded in this field. Much sought after for its renowned project finance offering, it typically advises consortiums of major international and Korean lenders on energy and infrastructure projects around the globe”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016 - 2021, Projects & Infrastructure (International Firms): South Korea
"Linklaters is well known for advising Korean export credit agencies, sponsors and international lenders on high-profile projects”
Band 1 – Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021, Projects and energy: foreign firms: South Korea
“The team at Linklaters is well-known for advising underwriters on some of the most complex and high-profile capital markets transactions in the market, particularly those involving global depositary receipts (GDRs) and equity-linked products.”
Band 1 – Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021, Capital Markets: foreign firm: South Korea
Best Korea Deal: LG Chem’s Convertible Bonds due 2021
FinanceAsia Achievement Awards 2018