Partner, Asia Head of Energy & Infrastructure, Tokyo
Education and qualifications
John is the Asia Head of Energy and Infrastructure, leading a team in Tokyo described as ‘one of the best in the market’, and a regional team that was awarded PFI’s inaugural Asia Law Firm of the Year, 2019.
John advises sponsors, lenders and export credit agencies on the development and financing of, and acquisitions in, world-scale and or new-market energy and infrastructure projects throughout the world, including offshore wind, LNG, petrochemical as well as conventional power projects. His experience also includes cross-border rail and large-scale infrastructure projects.
John is recognised in Chambers and Legal 500 as a leader in his field, with clients and peers commenting that ‘he has an outstanding reputation for project finance’, is ‘always inspiring’ and that ‘he is a big personality, very diplomatic in the way he presents and frankly a pleasure to deal with’.
John has been the Managing Partner of the firm’s Tokyo office since 2012.
John’s recent experience includes advising:
- ADB, JBIC and commercial banks on the US$1.366bn financing of the Gulf PD 2500MW IPP (Asia Power Deal of the Year, PFI Awards 2019)
- JBIC, NEXI and the commercial lenders on the US$1.129bn financing of the Hamriyah IPP
- K-SURE and NEXI on the c.US$3bn 589 MW Changfang and Xidao offshore wind farm in Taiwan
- Marubeni on the Yen100bn offshore wind project in Akita, the first commercial scale offshore wind project in Japan
- a leading international offshore wind developer on its bid for offshore wind power project(s) in Japan
- an international owner and operator of entertainment facilities on its bid to build and develop a c.US$10bn integrated resort in Japan
- the ECAs and commercial banks on SOCAR GPC, a c.US$4bn petrochemicals project in Azerbaijan
- the ECAs/IFIs and commercial banks on the c.US$4bn Nacala pit-to-port project in sub-Sahara Africa (African Logistics Deal of the Year – PFI Awards 2017, and Africa Transport Deal of the Year – IJ Global 2017)
- 2019 to date: Asia Head of Energy and Infrastructure
- 2012 to date: Managing Partner, Tokyo
- 2010 – 2012: Partner, Projects Group, Linklaters, London
- 2004 – 2009: Partner, Projects Group, Linklaters, Hong Kong
- 1996 – 2004: Associate, Linklaters, London
- 1994 – 1996: Trainee Solicitor, Linklaters
John has also experience advising
- the Japanese-led consortium on its bid for the Equis Asia-Pacific renewables portfolio
- the sponsors on the development and c.$1bn ECA financing of an LNG receiving terminal in Indonesia
- Sonnedix, and commercial banks, on several solar project financings including the Oita, Sano and Nagi PV projects in Japan
- Shortlisted international bidders for each of the Fukuoka and Hokkaido airport privatisations
- JBIC, NEXI, K-SURE and commercial banks on the proposed c.US$1bn financing of the Morupule B Units 5-6 IPP in Botswana
- the project sponsors (including Mitsui & Co. and Mitsubishi Corporation) on the US$20bn Sakhalin II LNG project