Senior Counsel, Energy & Infrastructure, New York
"I help clients across the energy spectrum navigate regulatory, compliance, ESG considerations for their complex energy and infrastructure matters."
Education and qualifications
Lauren represents energy industry coalitions and individual clients on various regulatory and administrative matters before the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM), Bureau of Land Management (BLM), U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), National Park Service (NPS), U.S. Forest Service (FS), and National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS). Lauren has deep experience in permitting and compliance matters for project development and financing purposes as well as drafting comments on administrative rulemakings, advising clients on policy and regulatory clarifications, negotiating proposed legislative bills and federal litigation.
Lauren assists clients with establishing and complying with Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) policies and programs, environmental justice policies and programs, and broad climate and carbon policies and programs.
- Member, LGBTQ+ Bar Association
- Chair, American Bar Association’s SEER Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Member, American Bar Association’s Section of Environment, Energy and Resources (SEER), Leadership Development Program, 2020
- Advising clients on federal and state statutes, regulations and policies for U.S. offshore wind competitive auctions, leases, and development.
- Assisting offshore wind clients with preparing OREC applications and proposals for state solicitations.
- Assisting offshore wind clients with preparing survey, site assessment, and construction and operation plans, and obtaining the necessary environmental permits and authorizations to carry out such activities.
- Advising clients on environmental permitting and wildlife risks and requirements for onshore energy projects, including solar, wind, and carbon capture and sequestration projects.
- Assisting project developers with identifying and obtaining all necessary environmental permits and authorizations for energy and industrial projects.
- Assisting clients with preparing Class VI permit applications for carbon sequestration projects.
- Advising clients on environmental permitting and compliance risks for industrial projects.
- Advocating for clients on revisions to federal (ESA, MBTA and BGEPA) and state wildlife regulations.
- Preparing comments on behalf of renewable industry clients on important policy developments under NEPA, including revisions to the Council of Environmental Quality’s NEPA implementing regulations.
- Preparing comments for BOEM on behalf of renewable industry clients advocating for Wind Energy Areas on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts.
- Assisting clients with establishing ESG policies and programs and creating tracking and reporting systems.
- Assisting clients with creating environmental justice policies, implementing the policies with regard to existing and future projects, and establishing the internal governance for such policies.
- Advised BLM on high-profile oil and gas and coal leasing matters throughout the country, which included rulemakings, internal guidance, environmental reviews, leasing decisions, royalty reductions and bonding.
- Served as lead DOI counsel on the coal leasing moratorium, the associated programmatic environmental impact statement and corresponding litigation.
- Advised BLM on right-of-ways, easements and special use permits for associated energy leases.
- Advised BLM on the administration’s policy directions for various onshore natural resource extraction matters.
- Represented BLM in oil and gas and coal leasing decisions appealed to the Interior Board of Land Appeals and worked with DOJ to represent BLM in the associated federal litigation.
- Worked with the BLM and the Forest Service on oil and gas and coal leases that crossed multiple federal jurisdictions, which included joint environmental reviews and decisions.
- Advised BLM on National Historical Preservation Act consultations for leasing decisions.
- Advised BLM and FWS on ESA consultations for leasing decisions.
- Advised the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) on leasing and realty (right-of-ways, easements and special use permits) matters on tribal lands.
- Represented the BLM and the BIA in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Advised BLM on CERCLA matters on federal lands and worked with DOJ to represent BLM in associated federal litigation.
- Coordinated with DOJ to represent all DOI bureaus in FOIA litigation.
- Represented the NPS in land disputes and advised NPS on matters concerning the Wilderness Act and the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act.
- Served as DOI counsel on the 2016 BLM Waste Prevention Rule, the compliance date postponement, the Suspension Rule, the revised Waste Prevention Rule and all corresponding litigation.
Education and qualifications
Lauren received a Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from Pace University School of Law, where she served as Editor-in-Chief of the Pace Environmental Law Review. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Smith College.
Lauren is Recommended for Environment: Litigation by the Legal 500 United States, 2021.
- “U.S. Offshore Wind Development: 2022 Year in Review and Looking Ahead,” Newsletter, February 07, 2023.
- “Reclassification of the Northern Long-Eared Bat May Impact Project Development,” Legal Update, February 03, 2023.
- “U.S. BOEM Proposes Modernized Offshore Wind Regulations,” Legal Update, January 17, 2023.
- “U.S. BOEM Announces Provisional Winners of California Offshore Wind Auction,” Legal Update, December 08, 2022.
- “U.S. BOEM Announces 8 Proposed Areas for OSW in the Central Atlantic,” Legal Update, November 17, 2022.
- “U.S. BOEM Finalizes Offshore Wind Energy Areas in Gulf of Mexico,” November 01, 2022.
- “U.S. BOEM Announces First Offshore Wind Auction Off California,” Legal Update, October 19, 2022.
- “U.S. BOEM Issues Final Environmental Review for Offshore Wind Area Off Central California,” Legal Update, October 06, 2022.
- “Pratt’s Energy Law Report,” LexisNexis, October 2022.
- “CCUS: Texas Takes Steps Toward Class VI Primacy,” Legal Update, September 13, 2022.
- “Offshore Wind and the U.S. Inflation Reduction Act,” Legal Update, August 19, 2022.
- “California Increases Offshore Wind Development Goals,” Legal Update, August 04, 2022.
- “Biden Administration Takes Action to Accelerate Offshore Wind in Gulf of Mexico and Southeast,” Legal Update, July 21, 2022.
- “Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage: U.S. Federal Guidance for Carbon Storage on Public Lands,” Legal Update, June 30, 2022.
- “U.S. Gulf of Mexico Offshore Wind — Louisiana and Federal Updates,” Legal Update, June 23, 2022.
- “Carbon Capture, Utilization and Storage: Class VI Wells and U.S. State Primacy,” Legal Update, June 09, 2022.
- “Biden Administration Proposes First-Ever California Offshore Wind Lease Sale,” Legal Update, May 27, 2022.
- “California Sets Aggressive Offshore Wind Target,” Legal Update, May 11, 2022.
- “U.S. BOEM Announces Provisional Winners of North Carolina Offshore Wind Auction,” Legal Update, May 11, 2022.
- “U.S. BOEM Issues Final Environmental Review for Offshore Wind Area Off Northern California,” Legal Update, May 06, 2022.
- “U.S. Offshore Wind — Financing Considerations and Development Challenges,” Article, May 05, 2022.
- “U.S. BOEM Issues Calls for Information and Nominations for Offshore Wind Areas in Central Atlantic and Offshore Oregon,” Legal Update, April 28, 2022.
- “Carbon Capture Sequestration Utilization and Storage Projects and U.S. Federal Environmental Laws,” Legal Update, April 22, 2022.
- “U.S. offshore wind challenges,” PFI, April 2022.
- “U.S. BOEM Announces North Carolina Offshore Wind Auction,” Legal Update, March 28, 2022.
- “Offshore Wind Interconnection Process and Cost Considerations,” Bloomberg Law, March 21, 2022.
- “New Jersey Delays Its Next Offshore Wind Solicitation for Transmission Planning,” Legal Update, March 07, 2022.
- “U.S. BOEM Announces Provisional Winners of Massive Offshore Wind Auction,” Legal Update, February 25, 2022.
- “U.S. Offshore Wind Development: 2021 Year in Review and Looking Ahead,” Newsletter, February 17, 2022.
- “Louisiana Proposes 5 GW of Offshore Wind for Gulf of Mexico,” In Brief, February 08, 2022.
- “U.S. BOEM Announces Massive Offshore Wind Auction and Much More,” Legal Update, January 14, 2022.
- “NY Announces $500 Million Offshore Wind Investment and 2022 Procurement,” In Brief, January 07, 2022.
- “The Law off the Land: Why Offshore Wind Developers, Utilities and Investors Should Give Early Consideration to Environmental Law Risks,” North American Clean Energy, January 2022.
- “MD and MA Award 3.2 GW of New Offshore Wind Capacity,” In Brief, 2021.
- “Interior Department: Area Offshore Central California Officially Designated for Offshore Wind Energy Development,” In Brief, November 16, 2021.
- “Interior Department: Three Milestones for Offshore Wind Energy Development in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico,” Legal Update, October 29, 2021.
- “Navigating Environmental Justice Issues in Federal Permitting,” ABA SEER Fall 2021 Newsletter, Fall 2021.
- “NPM Interconnections — Episode 36: J. Paul Forrester & Lauren Bachtel,” New Project Media, June 02, 2022.