"As a finance lawyer I have developed expertise in a wide-ranging practice covering banking, capital markets and restructuring and insolvency. I bring a high level of experience and energy to my areas of practice offering clients proactive, commercially focused and in-depth advice that ensures they can achieve their business objectives."
Education and qualifications
Melinda is one of the capital markets and banking group’s core team members. Her capital markets practice concentrates on debt instruments and securitisation. Melinda’s banking practice includes advising on syndicated lending, investment grade and leveraged acquisition finance, asset finance, real estate finance and distressed debt acquisitions. She also has special expertise in restructuring and insolvency.
Melinda has considerable experience of advising clients on all sides of finance transactions, including banks, financial institutions, private equity houses and corporate clients. She also takes an active interest in charitable and community work both inside and outside the firm. Since joining in 2003, Melinda has completed a secondment to the derivatives and structured products group in the London office.
Melinda’s experience extends to a range of restructuring, insolvency, real estate financing, private equity regulatory and capital markets transactions. These include advising:
- the coordinating committee of lenders to a vehicle safety inspections business on the financial restructuring of its secured indebtedness
- the Central Bank of Luxembourg as principal creditor of the Luxembourg banking subsidiary of collapsed Icelandic banks Landsbanki Islands hf., Glitnir Banki hf. and Kaupthing Bank
- an investment manager in the refinancing of a large real estate portfolio in Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands and Spain, and the subsequent disposal of real estate assets of the portfolio
- Baring Private Equity Asia on its purchase of a majority stake in Vistra Group
- the specialised investment fund ProLogis European Properties Fund II on its Euro medium term note programme and following drawdowns
- eDreams ODIGEO, Permira Funds and Ardian on a €1.1bn restructuring in the context of an IPO
Having been actively involved in the charity world before becoming a lawyer, Melinda takes a leading role in the firm’s community investment programme in Luxembourg, which supports and promotes local and international charities initiatives. Below are some examples of the firm’s community engagement in which Melinda has been closely involved:
- Melinda is co-chair of the group that coordinates the firm’s partnership with local charities, such as Médecins du Monde, which provides healthcare to the most vulnerable in society, including refugees
- Together with other lawyers of the Luxembourg office, Melinda contributed to the Women, Business and the Law report, a publication of the World Bank Group that benchmarks laws and regulations influencing women’s capacity to participate in the workforce and start businesses
- Melinda was involved in the survey by Equality Now, an international human rights organisation working to protect the rights of women and girls around the world
Melinda’s published works include:
Women, Business and the Law, 2016
- Mixed fortunes for the Luxembourg subsidiaries of Landsbanki, Glitnir and Kaupthing, 2010
- Looking for a safe investment? Think about Lettres de Gage (Luxembourg For Finance N°1, 2009)
Education and qualifications
Melinda studied law at the University of Strasbourg and was a PhD student in constitutional law.
In the context of her PhD studies, Melinda obtained a scholarship for a Fulbright Seminar, which was conducted at Lafayette College.