TMT Partner, Singapore
"I work closely with businesses on technology transactions and data privacy issues, and partner with clients to find pragmatic legal solutions to deal with the impact of technology."
Education and qualifications
Adrian leads the firm’s TMT practice in Asia, based in our Singapore office and supports clients on complex technology transactions and legal issues relating to their use of technology. Adrian advises on both transactional projects such as technology procurement, collaboration arrangements and outsourcing, and advisory matters focusing on data privacy, cybersecurity and technology risk management.
Adrian has worked in the firm’s Singapore and Shanghai offices, as well as in the Sydney and Hong Kong offices of our Australian alliance partner Allens. Adrian moved to Singapore in 2014 to set up the firm’s Asian TMT capability.
As digital transformation has become a key business focus, Adrian has supported on novel and innovative transactions from setting up digital-only banks, to helping clients build AI-enabled tech platforms, to working closely with clients to deal with the consequences of cyber attacks and data breach.
- a leading international bank on the technology build and procurement for the set-up of a first of kind digital-only wealth management business in North Asia
- one of the world’s largest insurers on its contractual joint venture with a major retail bank to set up a data analytics initiative to identify insights into insurance and banking habits to generate valuable opportunities for increased distribution
- a start-up organisation on an ICO for a utility platform, including on the open sourcing of the blockchain technology for the ICO
- one of the world’s largest technology companies on policy work on privacy and outsourcing issues for its cloud services in Asia, and on developing the legal infrastructure for its approach to digital transformation deals
- an international hotel chain on a series of data breaches relating to its payments infrastructure covering over a dozen jurisdictions globally, including notifications across Asia
- Sumitomo and KDDI on the establishment of their joint operations with Myanma Posts and Telecommunications, and the commercial arrangements to allow interconnection of MPT’s networks with those of Ooredoo and Telenor
Adrian is an active member of the technology ecosystem in Singapore. Adrian has published and spoken extensively on topics including fintech and data privacy and crisis management.
As an advocate of innovation and agility in the legal profession, Adrian is keenly interested in the changing nature of the profession and has partnered with clients on engaging with industry on the role of the lawyer as business enablers in times of change. Adrian's published work includes a Linklaters joint report with Microsoft entitled "Lawyers: Agents of Change in a World of Digital Transformation".
Adrian sits on the board of the Singapore FinTech Association, an organization tasked with building and empowering the fintech ecosystem in Singapore.