Counsel, Financial Regulation Group, London
"I specialise in financial services regulation and cover all types of regulatory issues, including structuring, licensing, conduct of business, governance and prudential regulation, for a wide range of clients. I aim to give clear, practical guidance, which cuts through the complexity of the underlying issues and provides clients with tangible solutions."
Alastair advises banks, broker-dealers, asset managers, insurers and other regulated financial services firms on applicable regulation, including in relation to:
- the regulatory licenses which firms need to provide their products and services in the UK and in other countries;
- prudential regulation, including firm categorisation, identifying which rules apply and their impact, group structuring, and how the PRA/FCA are likely to view certain arrangements;
- conduct of business, including the regulatory rules which firms need to comply with when designing and providing their products and services to clients, and when dealing in wholesale markets;
- governance, including the arrangements which firms need to have in place to control their business and regulatory risk, such as internal policies, systems and controls; and
- fintech, including the regulatory characterisation of novel products and the regulatory rules which apply to the same.
Alastair has played a central role in advising:
- a large US banking group on its Brexit planning, including on cross-border licensing risk, staff location, intra-group outsourcing and booking, passporting, transfers of business and client-facing documentation;
- a UK banking group on its five-year ring-fencing project, including on permitted and prohibited products, regulatory licensing and intra-group arrangements;
- an international banking group on its project to develop and implement a new regulatory compliance framework across all business lines; and
- a UK wealth manager on the preparation of new combined terms of business covering all services and products across multiple jurisdictions.
Alastair has also completed secondments to Barclays and the Financial Structuring team within Linklaters.