Ben heads the firm’s energy disputes team. He specialises in international commercial arbitration and litigation, with a particular focus on the energy sector, the EEMEA region and India. He has extensive experience in a wide range of commercial disputes, including joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, long term supply agreements and construction projects.
Ben acts as counsel and arbitrator and has conducted ad hoc and institutional arbitrations under all the commonly used international rules, including London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and Arbitration Rules of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL). He often handles High Court litigation, particularly where it is connected to arbitral proceedings, and has experience of arbitral award challenge proceedings and enforcement proceedings in a number of jurisdictions.
Ben also regularly advises clients on fraud and regulatory compliance issues (particularly corruption and sanctions issues) and conducts cross-border investigations into potential compliance breaches and related disputes, including in relation to investigations by the Serious Fraud Office.
Ben works in close collaboration with lawyers from the firm’s other market-leading practice areas, in particular Corporate and Energy & Infrastructure, in cross-office, multidisciplinary teams.
Ben has twice been on secondment to BP’s Dispute Resolution team where he was responsible for handling a number of international arbitrations and gained considerable experience of a wide range of industry issues.
Ben has acted for clients in many major arbitrations. Those that can be disclosed include advising:
- Glencore International in a LCIA arbitration with other shareholders of UC RUSAL
- an energy-sector client in an LCIA arbitration concerning the construction of an oil processing facility in Iraq
- a Russian private equity firm in an LCIA arbitration concerning the interpretation of pre-emption rights in the context of the acquisition of rights in a leading social media site
- BP on two ad hoc arbitrations with the Government of India concerning cost recovery under a PSC
- a defence company in enforcement proceedings in London concerning an ICC arbitral award
- BP in a number of arbitral proceedings arising from its TNK-BP joint venture
- an international construction company on shareholder disputes arising out of a joint venture in the UAE
- a wide range of international financial and energy sector clients on the interpretation and application of sanctions, particularly with respect to the sanctions regimes in respect of Russia and Iran
- a Middle-East based company on a bribery investigation
- a multi-national company on the compliance issues arising from its purchase of a business from a company under investigation by the SFO and US DoJ
Education and qualifications
Ben studied jurisprudence at Trinity College, University of Oxford.