Dr. Bolko Ehlgen
Intellectual Property Partner, Frankfurt
“I am a passionate intellectual property litigator, specializing in patent law. I thrive on diving deep into the technical issues of a case to drive the overall strategy and our clients’ commercial objectives.”
Partner Promotions 2021
Education and qualifications
Partner Promotions 2021
Bolko joined the firm as an Associate in 2015 before being promoted to Managing Associate in 2017. He specialises in patent litigation matters, in particular large-scale cross-border disputes. He is particularly active for clients in the areas of pharma, biotech, medical devices, semiconductors, electronics and chemicals. Besides his litigation practice, Bolko advises on all aspects of intellectual property law in technology-driven transactions.
Bolko is particularly engaged in the firm’s recruiting efforts, mentors trainees and local law students and regularly participates in Social Impact initiatives.
What are you most looking forward to in your first year as partner?
Building, developing and leading my own team of talented people – and finally being able to go out and meet clients in person again.
Who or what inspires you?
The way our clients are advancing technology in so many fields, the wealth of knowledge they create along the way – and breathing in nature on my morning bike rides to work through fields and forests.
Bolko is a Partner in the IP/Dispute Resolution practice based in Frankfurt. He specialises in intellectual property litigation, predominantly regarding patents. Bolko is experienced in enforcing intellectual property rights and defending clients against allegations of infringement, particularly in a cross-border context.
Bolko is admitted to practice in Germany and New York. He is a certified specialist lawyer for industrial property rights (Fachanwalt für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz). WirtschaftsWoche ranks him among Germany’s most renowned lawyers for patent litigation (2019). Bolko has particular experience in the life sciences, automotive, electronics and semiconductor sectors.
Bolko has advised on many significant cases. These include representing:
- a globally leading LED manufacturer in enforcing several patents of its core portfolio against competitors in a cross-border patent dispute (USA, Germany, UK, France, Italy)
- a globally leading pharmaceutical joint venture in a cross-border patent dispute in the US, UK, France and Germany in the field of monoclonal antibodies
- The German Ministry of Health in a complex copyright and database rights litigation relating to a medical classification
- a U.S.-based healthcare company in various patent infringement proceedings, including preliminary injunctions, trade show and customs seizures on patents covering various medical devices in the catheter and surgical instruments field
- a global supplier to the automotive industry in a patent litigation covering a component for injection valve control in engines before the Higher Regional Court Düsseldorf and the Federal Court of Justice in the corresponding nullity action
- a global supplier in the automotive industry on the IP- and licence-related aspects of a large joint venture in the supplier industry
Bolko is a member of the German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR), the Association of Intellectual Property Experts (VPP) and of Licensing Executives Society (LES).
Further experience includes representing:
- an internationally active pharmaceutical company in the enforcement of its patents for a drug for the treatment of a rare disease
- a French manufacturer of medical products in a cross-border patent dispute (France, Germany, UK)
- an international manufacturer of compressors for vehicles in infringement and nullity proceedings in Germany in the context of a cross-border patent dispute against a competitor
- an international manufacturer of label films in a patent infringement proceeding against a competitor and the in the parallel opposition and nullity proceedings
- a retailer of home furnishing and decoration in disputes on industrial designs, copyright, patents and unfair competition
- a large automotive supplier on the acquisition of a high tech and software company to develop new markets
- a global supplier in the automotive industry on the IP and licence-related aspects of a large joint venture in the supplier industry
- an international supplier in the automotive sector in patent infringement proceedings relating to windshield wipers
Education and qualifications
Bolko studied law at the Universities of Heidelberg and Cologne. He obtained his doctorate from the University of Cologne and a Master of Laws degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in Philadelphia, USA.
Bolko is admitted to practice in Germany and the State of New York (USA). He is a certified specialist lawyer for industrial property rights (Fachanwalt für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz).
He speaks German and English.
- Probabilistische Proportionalhaftung und Haftung für den Verlust von Chancen, Tübingen 2013 (dissertation).
- Annotation to the decision of the Regional Court Mannheim of 10 December 2013 – 2 O 4/13, BeckRS 2014, 09712 GRUR-Prax 2014, 280.
- Annotation to the decision of the German Federal Court of Justice of 2 December 2014 – X ZB 1/13, BeckRS 2014, 23276, GRUR-Prax 2015, 35.
- Erweiterte Auslegung hilft der Praxis - Wie die „Verletzungsfalle“ bei bestimmungs¬ge-mäßem Gebrauch von Standardbauteilen zu vermeiden ist, in: Intellectual Property Magazin 1/2015, page 17-19 (in collaboration with Julia Schönbohm).
- Zum Umfang der Erschöpfung bei System- und Verfahrensansprüchen, in: Mitteilungen der deutschen Patentanwälte, 3/2016, page 104-111 (in collaboration with Julia Schönbohm).
- Einigung mit gewissen Vorzügen – „Pay for Delay“, oder: Wenn ein Vergleich eines Patentverletzungsprozesses Wettbewerbshüter misstrauisch macht, in: Intellectual Property Magazin 1/2017, page 10-12.
- K. o. in der letzten Runde? – Das UPC hat bereits einige Runden überstanden – sorgt das Verfassungsgericht für das Aus?, in: Intellectual Property Magazin 3/2017, page 3-5.
- Wenn Nichtstun nicht genug ist, in: Intellectual Property Magazin, Ausgabe 2, 6/2018, page 20-22.
- The Office giveth and the Office taketh away – US Supreme Court rejects constitutional challenge to inter partes review process, in: Intellectual Property Magazin 3/2018, page 3-6.
- Unterlassungsanspruch wegen drohender Beeinträchtigung der Rechtsausübung - Anti-Suit Injunction – Annotation to judgment of the Munich Higher Regional Court of 12. December 2019 - 6 U 5042/19, in: GRUR 2019, page 379 - 384.