Investment Funds Partner, London
"I have extensive experience acting for institutional investors in respect of their investments in a range of asset classes, including private equity, real estate, credit, infrastructure and hedge funds. I advise on direct investments into funds, as well as managed account arrangements, strategic partnerships, co-investments and secondary transactions."
Clare is a Counsel in our investment funds practice and specialises in private equity, real estate, infrastructure and credit/debt fundraising, including the structuring, marketing and establishment of funds as well as acting for investors in respect of their investments into a variety of asset classes.
She has considerable experience acting for sovereign wealth funds and large pension funds throughout Middle East, Europe and North America, as well as institutional investors in relation to their investment activity. She also advises on investment fund compliance and regulatory issues (including AIFMD).
Clare is ranked as a Rising Star in the Legal 500 UK 2020 guide and quoted as clients saying: 'Clare Baker is an extremely knowledgeable lawyer with a solutions-based approach, she provides excellent service to clients. She is always approachable and engaged.'
Clare’s experience includes advising:
- Aermont Capital: on the establishment of their fourth generation European-focused opportunistic real estate fund, and previously their €1.5bn third generation European-focused real estate fund, and second generation €1.3bn European-focused real estate fund
- Cornerstone investors: on their investments into flagship private equity funds managed by Apax, BC Partners, Cinven, CVC, EQT, Nordic Capital, Permira, PAI Partners and Mid Europa
- a number of sovereign wealth funds: on their strategic partnership and managed account relationships with private fund sponsors, including recent private equity and credit arrangements with EQT, Partners Group and AlpInvest
- Macquarie Group: on raising of two infrastructure debt funds focusing on investments in UK infrastructure debt linked to the RPI, an infrastructure debt fund with a global investment strategy and a sub-investment grade infrastructure debt fund
- PSP Investments (one of Canada's largest pension investment managers): on their investments in European buy-out and credit funds
- Universities Superannuation Scheme (one of UK’s largest pension schemes): on their fund investments and co-investment arrangements in a range of private equity and credit funds