"I possess an in-depth expertise regarding the conduct of complex, high-value arbitration and litigation matters. My clients value me for my ability to quickly gain a comprehensive insight of their business. I propose a pragmatic and effective strategy in order to solve a wide range of disputes with minimum adverse impact on their business and reputation."
Education and qualifications
Claudia has extensive experience in complex domestic and international dispute resolution, including litigation and international arbitration, with a particular focus on construction, oil & gas, telecommunications, contentious competition and post-M&A disputes.
Claudia regularly acts as counsel for clients around the world in cross-border litigation matters, as well as in international commercial and investment arbitration proceedings (ICC, ICSID, LCIA and UNCITRAL).
Claudia was seconded to Apple, where she acted as Legal Counsel for Southwest Europe (France, Italy, Spain and Portugal) (2018-2019).
Claudia holds a PhD in Private International Law with highest honours (Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne).
Claudia has acted for clients in many major disputes. Those that can be disclosed include:
- representing a technology worldwide leader in the context of a very strategic dispute against one of its resellers. Claudia obtained from the French Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice two landmark decisions, largely commented, with respect to jurisdiction clauses;
- representing one of the foremost mining company in a multi-billion cross-border matter involving criminal, regulatory and commercial issues in a francophone African State;
- defending an international bank against a €250 million mis-selling claim.
- acting for an African State in a billion-investment ICSID arbitration brought by a French investor under a bilateral investment treaty. The case required in-depth knowledge of environmental law, mining law, property law and investment law;
- acting for an African State in an ICSID arbitration brought by an oil & gas exploration company over two offshore blocks;
- acting for a European satellite company in respect of claims brought by a competitor regarding the right to use certain frequencies at a given orbital position.
She was a lecturer in Private International Law, Corporate Law, Civil Law at the Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (2011 – 2016).
Claudia is a member of the Organising Committee of the Moot Court on Private International Law (Université Paris-Saclay and Linklaters).
Claudia is a member of the International Law Association.
Education and qualifications
Claudia holds a PhD in Private International Law with highest honours (Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, thesis on "Forum Shopping in International Litigation").
She holds a Master in:
- Private International Law and International Business Law (Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne).
- English and American Business Law (Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne).
- French and Italian Business Law (Università degli Studi di Firenze).
She holds joint degrees in French and Italian Business Law (Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne and Università degli Studi di Firenze).
Claudia attended The Hague Academy of Private International Law (merit-based scholarship).
Claudia won several awards, including the “Rayonnement International” award (Paris Bar and International Bar Association), the “Best Law Student” award (Freshfields) and the “Best Student of the Faculty of Law” award (Università degli Studi di Firenze).
Claudia is fluent in English, French and Italian.
- Le forum shopping dans le contentieux international. Paris: IRJS Editions. (to be published). Award for the publication of the PhD thesis.
- Ziadé, R., & Cavicchioli, C., Force majeure et imprévision dans les contrats internationaux. L’impact du Covid-19 sous le prisme du droit français, La Revue Libanaise de l’Arbitrage, 2020, n° 84, pp. 4-18.
- Ziadé, R., & Cavicchioli, C., L’impact du Covid-19 sur les contrats commerciaux, AJ Contrat, avril 2020, pp. 176-182.
- Menichetti, L., & Cavicchioli, C. (2020). Intelligenza artificiale e società. Aspetti pedagogici e quadro giuridico europeo. In P. Lucisano (Ed.), Le Società per la società: ricerca, scenari, emergenze. Tomo 1. pp. 341-350. Lecce, Rovato (BS): Pensa MultiMedia. Peer reviewed series. ISBN 978-88-6760-707-5.
- Le forum shopping dans le contentieux international, Revue de droit international d’Assas, Vol. 2, 2019, pp. 364-382.
- Forum Shopping in International Litigation. In Yearbook of Private International Law, XX, 2018/2019, pp. 413-438.
- The Need for Confidentiality in Arbitration Proceedings Relating to Advisory Matters, Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 26 December 2016.