Partner, Global Technology Sector Leader, London
"I advise on public and private M&A transactions, with a particular focus on the technology sector. I draw on my specialist expertise to provide clients with in-depth, pragmatic and commercially oriented legal advice to help fulfil their strategic goals."
Education and qualifications
Derek is a corporate partner in the London office and one of the firm’s global tech sector leaders.
He advises on public and private mergers and acquisitions, equity capital markets transactions, joint ventures, strategic investments and restructurings, specialising in particular on complex cross-border private M&A. He acts for clients across a broad range of sectors, including technology, financial institutions and industrials.
Derek has led on many high-profile corporate transactions. Selected experience includes advising:
- Carrier Global Corporation: advising on the EUR12bn acquisition of Viessmann’s Climate Solutions business.
- Carrier Global Corporation: advising on the US$3.1bn sale of its Chubb fire and security business to Api Group Corporation.
- HSBC on the US$10bn disposal of its Canadian banking operations to RBC
- Visa on its £700m acquisition of Currencycloud
- BP on the US$5bn disposal of its petrochemicals business to Inneos
- Just Eat on its US$10bn merger of equals with Takeaway.com NV Just Eat plc on the acquisition of Hungryhouse
- The Carlyle Group in relation to the acquisition of a 30% interest in CEPSA
- Old Mutual plc in connection with the £12 billion demerger of its four core business units
- HSBC in connection with the US$5.2 billion disposal of its banking business in Brazil
- CMC Markets plc on its initial public offering