Member of the New York and Connecticut Bars
Doug leads the firm's U.S. Government Enforcement and Cartel practice. He brings extensive courtroom experience to the defense of companies and individuals in white collar criminal and regulatory investigations, with a particular concentration on antitrust and cartel, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), securities, tax, fraud, and money laundering matters. He also advises on crisis management, conducts internal investigations, and assists corporations with compliance, risk assessment and governance issues.
Doug is ranked as a leading lawyer in the Nationwide Antitrust: Cartel and New York Antitrust categories of Chambers USA 2017 and in the Antitrust - Cartel category of Legal 500 U.S. 2017.
Doug’s representative legal matters include:
- acting as lead defense counsel in a two-month federal criminal jury trial and obtaining acquittals on all 12 counts for an American businessman charged with bribery and fraud in the first indictment brought by the DOJ's Procurement Fraud Task Force;
- defending Panalpina World Transport (Holding) Ltd. in parallel FCPA and antitrust enforcement actions by the DOJ and SEC, as well as in a related antitrust class action;
- representing a Fortune 50 company in an ongoing criminal grand jury investigation by the DOJ Antitrust Division;
- defending clients in numerous criminal antitrust matters, including those involving auto parts, air cargo, capacitors, water chemicals, refrigerator parts, municipal tax liens, and municipal foreclosure auctions;
- representing a large German service provider in an ongoing FCPA investigation by the DOJ and SEC;
- representing China Shenghai Investment Management Ltd. in an insider trading settlement with the SEC;
- representing multiple Swiss banks in connection with the DOJ Program for Non-Prosecution Agreements for Swiss Banks;
- defending a former board member of a Fortune 50 healthcare company in lengthy DOJ and SEC investigations of alleged corrupt payments to medical professionals in Europe; and
- overseeing multiple internal FCPA investigations throughout Africa and Asia and consulting on FCPA compliance for a Fortune 500 healthcare company.
2015 to date Linklaters, New York
2005 – 2015 Partner, Baker & McKenzie LLP, New York
1990 – 2005 Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division, New York
1989 – 1990 Law Clerk, Judge William H. Timbers, U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit, New York
1989 Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
1984 Columbia University, B.A.
Non-Governmental Advisor to the International Competition Network
Co-Chair, Compliance and Ethics Committee, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law
Immediate Past Chair, Cartel and Criminal Practice Committee, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law