Mainstream Corporate Partner, Madrid
"I have extensive experience advising on large and complex M&A deals across various sectors and types of assets, with a focus on private equity and financial sponsors, as well as public M&A (including takeover offers, mergers of publicly listed companies and other capital markets transactions)."
Education and qualifications
Esteban is a M&A partner based in Madrid who has more than 15 years of experience on some of the country’s most high-profile and complex M&A transactions in recent times. He has worked for some of the firm’s largest clients in their transactions in Spain.
He regularly advises clients (notably international PE houses and other financial sponsors) on their investments, including bilateral deals and auction processes, public M&A, mergers, corporate reorganisations and business combinations. He also provides Spanish listed companies and investors regular advice on corporate governance matters.
Esteban brings a commercial and hands-on approach to negotiations, looking for pragmatic and creative solutions to complex issues. He provide strategic guidance to support commercial decisions in all M&A-related work streams. He is used to lead internal teams and handle large groups of advisors in cross-border deals.
Esteban is ranked in various leading legal directories:
- “Up and coming” lawyer in Private Equity by Chambers Europe since 2019, with clients noting that he is “creative in finding varied and imaginative legal solutions to client needs”.
- “Rising star” in both M&A and Private Equity in Spain by Legal 500 since 2019, clients’ references saying that he is “an excellent professional; practical approach, ability to understand the situation and great technical knowledge; a trusted professional in M&A operations”.
He is a regular speaker at courses and conferences on corporate law and M&A.
Esteban has advised on market-leading transactions, including advising:
- IFM Global Infrastructure Fund and IFM Investors on the EUR 5bn partial takeover offer for up to 22.69% of the shares in Naturgy Energy Group, S.A., one of the largest Spanish utilities
- The Carlyle Group on various deals, including the acquisition and sale of Cupa.
- Globalia Corporación Empresarial on the sale of Air Europa to Iberia Lineas Aéreas (IAG).
- SIX Group on the EUR 2.8bn takeover offer for BME (the owner and operator of the Spanish securities markets and financial systems). “2020 Deal of the Year” in the Expansión Awards.
- Siemens AG on the merger of its wind power business with Gamesa. “2017 Deal of the Year” in the Expansión Awards.
- a consortium of financial sponsors (including JP Morgan Infrastructure Investments Fund, the Abu Dhabi Investment Council and Swiss Life) on the acquisition of Naturgas Energía from EDP.
Esteban is a well-known expert in public M&A deals (having participated in many of the takeover offers in the Spanish market, such as the IFM offer for Naturgy, Otis for Otis Zardoya, SIX for BME, EQT/Alba/GBL for Parques Reunidos, DS Smith for Europac, Blackstone for Hispania, Brookfield for Saeta Yield, etc.).
Esteban serves as Counsel, Secretary and Vice Secretary to various Boards of directors.
He regularly participates in M&A and Private Equity roundtables and media.