Dispute Resolution Managing Associate, Brussels
"I specialize in commercial litigation and dispute resolution, with a special expertise in collective redress, regulatory and high-tech matters."
Gert-Jan is an all-round commercial litigator, with a focus on collective redress, regulatory and high-tech matters. He has worked in the class actions department in the Sydney office of Allens, and is also the author of the overview of case law in Belgian actions for collective redress.
- defending ageas in numerous legal proceedings that have been launched following the rescue transactions that safeguarded the continuity of Fortis Bank in 2008, including claims for damages by former shareholders
- defending a Belgian utility company in collective redress proceedings before the Belgian courts, leading to the only instance of an action for collective redress being declared inadmissible under Belgian law;
- defending an American multinational in collective redress proceedings before the Belgian courts and coordinating defence throughout Europe;
representing Orange Belgium as a third-party intervenor in a regulatory appeal brought by 3StarsNet against a decision by the Belgian telecoms regulator concerning fixed termination rates;
- representing a telecom operator in cease-and-desist proceedings against a competitor for violation of the applicable regulatory framework.
He speaks Dutch, English and French.
Gert-Jan's recent published works include:
- G. Hendrix en X. Taton, De rechtsvordering tot collectief herstel – Overzicht van rechtspraak (2014-2020), TBH 2020, 864; and
- G. Hendrix, De beslechting van geschillen tussen telecomoperatoren: een eenvormige procedure voor een slagkrachtiger BIPT, TRNI 2017, 305.