National Managing Partner, Corporate Partner, Amsterdam
“I have broad experience in providing clients with strategic, commercial and legal advice in corporate transactions with a clear focus on quality and efficiency. With in-depth knowledge of corporate law my goal is always to ensure that transactions are timely executed to the very highest standards our clients deserve.”
Education and qualifications
Guido Portier is Linklaters Netherlands’ National Managing Partner, having been in the role since May 2022. He is a partner in the Amsterdam corporate practice, as well as an experienced civil law notary, specialising in Dutch corporate law. Guido assists multinationals and other large and medium-sized companies with the full range of corporate transactions, including IPOs, (cross-border) mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, SPACs, private equity and financing transactions. Guido also advises on other related matters, such as management equity plans, accounting and corporate governance.
Guido has previous experience in assisting U.S. based clients as the head of corporate, based in New York.
Guido has played a significant role as a civil law notary in many of the international market’s leading transactions. Highlights of his experience include:
- Unilever: advising on the cross-border merger to unify the group legal structure, moving from a dual-parent company structure to a single parent company.
- VAM Investments, Pegasus Acquisition Company Europe and several other SPACs with their initial public offerings and listings.
- CarNext: advising TDR on the carve out of CarNext from vehicle leasing company LeasePlan.
- Hillhouse: advising on their €3.7bn acquisition of Philips' Domestic Appliances Division.
- Unilever: advising on the €4.5bn sale of the world’s leading tea business, a portfolio of 34 leading brands (including PG Tips, Pukka, T2 and TAZO) to CVC Capital Partners.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Ferrari in their separate cross-border mergers to the Netherlands and their dual listing (NYSE/MTA).
Guido is a member of the Royal Dutch Notarial Association and the Dutch Trade Law Association.
He is co-author of the book “The new Dutch law on BV’s in practice”, an advice to the Dutch Royal Notarial Association on the proposed changes to Dutch company law in respect of voting rights and depositary receipts of shares; author of “Mandatory offers of shares and purchase price arrangements”, a description of the benefits and limitations of contractual drag along and tag along arrangements in articles of association; co-author of “Exercise of consent rights by pledgees”, on the exercise of consent rights of shareholders by pledgees of shares, and various other publications available upon request.