Dr. Ingo Klauß
Antitrust & Foreign Investment Counsel, Düsseldorf
“I am an experienced and passionate competition lawyer, focusing on merger control, abuse of dominance and competition law compliance issues under European and German law. I aim to provide clear, effective and pragmatic guidance to assist clients navigate complex legal and commercial issues, manage risk and run their businesses smoothly.”
Education and qualifications
Ingo represents and advises clients in merger control, cartel and abuse of dominance proceedings before the European Commission, the Bundeskartellamt (the Federal Cartel Office) and courts, and he advises clients in foreign investment proceedings as well as on competition law compliance matters.
He has particular experience in the financial services, pharmaceuticals, network industries, IT/software, consumer goods, chemical and petrochemical industries, as well as in the private equity business.
Ingo is listed in Who’s Who Legal as Future Leader in Competition where a client described him as “one of the best competition law experts I have ever met”.
Ingo has advised and represented clients in many major competition cases. These include:
- advising Bayer on the US$ 7.6 billion sale of its Animal Health Division to Elanco, the acquisition of the biotech company KaNDy Therapeutics Ltd., and the carve-out of Covestro
- advising Nestlé S.A. e.g. on the acquisition of Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc., by way of a public takeover offer, on the acquisition of a stake in the veterinary services provider IVC Group
- advising Asklepios on the acquisition of the clinic operator Rhön Klinikum
- representing LetterOne on several acquisitions in the oil and gas sector, in particular the acquisition of RWE DEA, and the US$ 21 billion merger of DEA and Wintershall
- representing E.ON in the far-reaching swap of essential assets with RWE, and the sale of a 46.6% stake in Uniper to Fortum, one of the few “hostile” takeover bids in Germany
- advising Deutsche Börse on several transactions, including the planned €39.5bn all share merger of equals with the London Stock Exchange Group, the planned merger with the New York Stock Exchange, the development of FundsDLT, a blockchain-based technology platform for the investment trust sector, the increase of a stake in Tradegate AG Wertpapierhandelsbank, the acquisition of electronic FX trading platform 360T
- advising Alcon, Bayer, BayWa, INEOS, Deutsche Börse, SC Johnson and Novartis on numerous compliance matters, including distribution, pricing and licensing practices
Ingo started working as a fully qualified lawyer in 2003. Since 2005 he works for Linklaters. In 2008, Ingo was seconded to the Linklaters office in London.
Ingo is a member of Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht, an association of German-speaking competition lawyers that aims to advance competition law thinking and practice.
Ingo teaches “European Competition Law” at the Institute for Law and Finance of Goethe University Frankfurt am Main. He is an active member of Mentor, an organisation that helps children with their reading.
Education and qualifications
Ingo studied law at the Universities of Osnabrück (Germany) and Leiden (The Netherlands), as well as working as a trainee/stagiaire at the Federal Cartel Office and at the European Commission. He holds a doctoral degree from the University of Osnabrück.
Ingo speaks German, English and Dutch.
Ingo regularly contributes articles and commentaries to specialised legal journals, including European Competition Law Review (ECLR), and comments in the German media. He also speaks regularly at conferences and seminars dealing with various competition law topics.
He wrote: ”Die Aufsicht über ein Gemeinsames Wettbewerbsgebiet - Grundlagen, Entwicklungslinien und Perspektiven der behördlichen Zusammenarbeit bei der Aufsicht über grenzüberschreitend wirkende Wettbewerbsbeschränkungen“ (Controlling a Common Competition Area - foundations, development and perspectives of the co-operation between competition authorities with regard to the control of restraints of competition with cross-border effect), Baden-Baden 2008.
Has spoken at conferences and seminars dealing with various law topics and has published the following book:
- ”Die Aufsicht über ein Gemeinsames Wettbewerbsgebiet - Grundlagen, Entwicklungslinien und Perspektiven der behördlichen Zusammenarbeit bei der Aufsicht über grenzüberschreitend wirkende Wettbewerbsbeschränkungen“ (Controlling a Common Competition Area - foundations, development and perspectives of the co-operation between competition authorities with regard to the control of restraints of competition with cross-border effect), Baden-Baden 2008, dissertation.
- Publications in legal journals, (e.g. GWR, GRUR Prax, NJW, EuZW and Der Betrieb)
- Regular monthly reports on German Competition Law issues in European Competition Law Review (ECLR).
Articles and commentaries in newspapers and magazines (Handelsblatt, Börsenzeitung, etc.).