Dr. Julia Schönbohm
“Both German and U.S. law-qualified, I advise on intellectual property law, guiding clients through complex matters and offering technically sound, pragmatic, commercially focused solutions for all their IP requirements with a special focus on cross-border patent infringement proceedings, as well as going the extra mile for them.”
Julia is widely acknowledged as a leading German intellectual property lawyer, including being listed as one of the “Top 250 Women in IP” in IP Stars and named as one of JUVE’s “40 below 40”, a list of outstanding legal professionals in Germany. She advises on both contentious and non-contentious intellectual property issues, including enforcement of intellectual property rights and advising clients defending allegations of infringement. She focusses on representing clients in cross-border patent infringement proceedings.
Julia has particular expertise in the pharmaceutical and electronics sectors.
Julia has advised on many market-leading cases and transactions. These include representing:
- a manufacturer of semiconductors in several cross-border patent infringement actions and the corresponding nullity actions
- a global pharmaceuticals joint venture in a cross-border litigation regarding a patent covering a monoclonal antibody
- a U.S. pharmaceutical company in a German patent litigation in relation to a formulation patent covering a protein with parallel litigation in other jurisdictions
- a German pharma company in three preliminary ruling proceedings before the European Court of Justice (ECJ) concerning the validity of supplemental protection certificates
- the German Ministry of Health in a complex copyright litigation relating to a database that is essential for the German health system
- a U.S.-based healthcare company in various patent infringement proceedings, including preliminary injunctions, trade show and customs seizures on patents covering various medical devices
- a US based chemical company in several patent infringement proceedings relating to packaging technologies.
- A supplier to the automotive industry in a patent litigation covering a component relevant for the valve control in engines
Julia is a member of the German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR) and of the Licensing Executives Society (LES).
Julia writes extensively and her articles include:
„Zum Umfang der Erschöpfung bei System- und Verfahrensansprüchen“, in: Mitteilungen der deutschen Patentanwälte, 3/2016, S. 104-111 (together with Bolko Ehlgen)
"„Isoxadifen-ethyl" oder „Ist ein Safener ein Wirkstoff im Sinne der SPC-Verordnung?!"", StoffR, Juni 2014 (together with Frank Gerhards, Peter Loss, Dorothea v. Renesse, Madeleine Seym, Bettina Wanner and Reinhold Wolf)
“Employee Inventions and Copyrights“, Key Aspects of German Employment and Labour Law, Springer, 2010
„Die Durchsetzung von Verfahrensansprüchen unter Berücksichtigung der Rechtslage in den USA“, Festschrift für Thomas Reimann zum 65 Geburtstag, 2009
She speaks German, English and French.