German Head of Banking, Frankfurt
“I am an experienced banking lawyer advising both lenders and borrowers across the credit spectrum, with particular knowledge in public acquisition finance. I am commercially minded, pragmatic and able to ensure that deals are transacted efficiently and to tight deadlines.”
Education and qualifications
Marc is widely recognised as one of the leading banking lawyers in Germany, advising domestic and international banks and corporates on cross-border syndicated lending, leveraged finance and restructurings. He has particular understanding of public acquisition financing.
Marc spent a year in the firm’s London office in 2001, forging close relationships with London-based international investment banks.
He is rated as “Highly regarded” in IFLR1000 (IFLR1000 2022/23, Banking, Capital markets (Structured finance and securitisation)).
Marc has advised on a wide range of major finance deals. Highlights include advising:
Groupe Bruxelles Lambert: on the financing of the acquisition of a majority stake in Canyon Bicycles
- Financing banks lead by Commerzbank: on the €900m financing for Puma on a KfW special programme in context with the Covid-19 pandemic
- KfW: on a Covid-19 related DIP-financing in the amount of up to €550m provided to Condor in the form of a state aid measure backed by the Federal Republic of Germany
- ING: on the world’s first loan on the reference rate €STR for the financing of a wind park of Energiekontor AG
- Continental: on its revolving credit facility of €4bn with several sustainability features (eg for renewable energy sources)
- Montagu Private Equity: on the financing of the acquisition of Universal-Investment GmbH
Marc worked for the predecessor firm Oppenhoff & Rädler from 1998. He joined Linklaters in 2001 and was appointed partner in 2005.
Marc is a member of the German law working group for the Loan Market Association (LMA) in Germany.
Marc regularly attends conferences, including those organised by Euroforum and Euromoney, where he has spoken on subjects such as German Schuldschein loans.
Education and qualifications
Marc studied law at the University of Bayreuth, Germany.
He speaks German and English.
- Rechtsentwicklungen im Kredit- und Kapitalmarktrecht 2022, DB 2022, Beilage 3, 45 (Co-Authors Sebastian Dey, Dr. Nicole Rölike, Julia Bhatti and Ann-Marie Sahm)
- Rechtsentwicklungen im Kredit- und Kapitalmarktrecht 2021, DB 2021, Beilage 3, 45 (Co-Authors Burkhard Rinne, Dr. Nicole Rölike and Julia Bhatti)
- “ Acquisition financing for the Sausalitos group: the creation of a cleared unitranche acquisition and capex bond”, JIBFL 2014, 720 (Co-Author Steffen Schellschmidt)
- „Komplexe Gläubigerstrukturen erschweren LBO-Refinanzierungen“, Börsen-Zeitung 2012, 13
- „Investieren auf islamisch“, Handelsblatt Legal success 2009, b18 (Co-Author Thomas Prüm)
- „Unternehmenskäufe werden heute immer komplexer finanziert“, Börsen-Zeitung 2005, 4 (Co-Author Thomas Elser)
- „EU-Vorschläge eröffnen neue Wege bei Firmenkäufen“, Börsen-Zeitung 2004, 12 (Co-Author Wolfgang Krauel)
- „Veränderter Rahmen für vielversprechenden LBO-Markt“, Börsen-Zeitung 2004 (Co-Authors Dr. Eva Reudelhuber and Thomas Elser)