Financial Regulation Partner, Global Practice Head Financial Regulation Group, London
"I am a regulatory lawyer with a special interest in assisting our financial institution clients to manage and develop their businesses within complex, international regulatory environments. I bring longstanding expertise in financial regulatory matters and work to make complicated issues simple."
Education and qualifications
Peter is Global Head of Linklaters’ Financial Regulation Group and is one of the firm’s global Investment Managers sector leaders.
Peter has developed close working relationships with the firm’s banking and investment management clients. His practice includes all aspects of financial markets regulatory advice for broker-dealers and investment banks. Peter advises investment managers, private banks, hedge funds and private equity funds on regulatory issues affecting them. He also advises clients on regulatory investigations into areas such as market conduct, client money compliance and transaction reporting failures.
Peter has particular experience of new product development and marketing, trading issues such as market abuse and regulatory structuring advice.
Earlier in his career, Peter was seconded to both Bankers Trust and Nomura, advising and assisting with the establishment of their respective securities financing businesses.
Peter has developed a wide-ranging financial regulatory practice. The breadth of his practice includes, advising on, amongst others:
- Regulatory change: advising numerous banks and investment firms on the implementation of the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MIFID2) and other regulatory reform initiatives
- New structures: advising on the creation and structuring of trading and clearing platforms, both internal crossing systems operated by firms and new market entrants including Turquoise (an equities trading platform created by nine major investment banks) and ForexClear, an FX clearing platform operated by LCH.Clearnet (acting for a consortium of clearing banks)
- Cross-border work: advising international banks on their European structures, to comply with regularly changing European regulations affecting financial institutions, including Brexit
- Contentious regulatory: advising clients on both LIBOR and FX manipulation investigations, and before that leading the team advising Citi in the first multi-jurisdictional manipulation case, involving Euro sovereign bond trading, which involved negotiating with eight different regulators
- Financial sector corporate activity: advising RBS on its ongoing structural reorganisation that has involved sales of businesses, including Worldpay, and the ring-fencing of its investment and retail banking operations
Peter’s wide experience of financial regulation means he is regularly called upon to contribute to industry bodies and regulators. His involvement includes the following:
- a member of the regulatory committee of the City of London Law Society (CLLS)
- an important contributor to work completed by the Association for Financial Markets in Europe (AFME) and the British Bankers’ Association (BBA)
- serving on expert panels for the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and its predecessor organisations