Tax Partner, London
“I am tax structuring, transactional and advisory specialist with a focus on corporate reconstructions, complex financings and big-ticket M&A. My practical and commercial approach, grounded in technical expertise, has helped facilitate successful results for my clients and allows me to provide a unique bridge between the tax and broader legal, economic and regulatory issues driving the structuring process.”
Education and qualifications
Sam is a highly regarded tax practitioner who specialises in corporate, finance, structuring and contentious transactions with a particular focus on public and private M&A, complex financings (including securitisations), corporate reconstructions, and insolvencies. He was included in MergerLinks’ 2023 “Rising Stars: Top Tax Lawyers in EMEA”.
Sam also sits within Linklaters’ cross-border, multi-disciplinary Investigations team and advises corporates and financial institutions in relation to HMRC enquiries.
Sam is a long-standing member of Linklaters’ HeForShe steering committee and also sits on Linklaters’ Gender Equality Network (GEN) UK steering committee.
Sam’s recent experience includes advising:
- Cerberus in relation to the tax structuring and implementation of a series of highly complex mortgage portfolio securitisations, refinancings, acquisitions and auction bids with a combined deal value in excess of £8bn
- National Grid on the £4.2bn disposal of a majority stake in their gas transmission business
- the energy administrators of Bulb Energy Limited on the sale of its business to Octopus Energy Group
- Moolec Science Limited on the structuring and implementation of its $376m de-SPAC
- Audi in relation to its entry into Formula 1
- a leading investment bank on the restructuring of its entire global group
- various financial institutions (including an international bank and a leading provider of spread betting and CFD services) on complex Brexit planning