Corporate Partner and Global Co-head of Insurance, Tokyo
“I have been based in Tokyo for the past 20 years, advising clients on significant inbound and outbound M&A and joint venture transactions across various sectors and geographies. Bilingual in Japanese and English, I have a deep understanding of Japan, take a commercial approach to transactions to ensure they align with clients’ businesses and am highly responsive.”
Education and qualifications
Tracy is highly regarded as one of Japan’s leading international M&A and corporate lawyers and is co-head of our global insurance sector group. She advises international and Japanese clients, including major Japanese trading houses and corporates across many sectors, including infrastructure, energy, insurance, healthcare, consumer and retail, and technology.
Tracy also advises financial institutions on their insurance transactions.
Tracy has advised on many market-leading transactions. These include advising:
- a listed Japanese trading house on numerous M&A and joint venture transactions across Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Americas, Africa and the Middle East for nearly 20 years in renewable energy, carbon capture and trading, infrastructure, including digital infrastructure, food & retail, manufacturing and natural resources
- another listed Japanese trading house on numerous M&A and joint venture transactions across Asia-Pacific, Europe and the Middle East for over 10 years in renewable energy, infrastructure, including digital infrastructure, healthcare, automotive, natural resources and venture capital
- a listed Japanese engineering company on its acquisition of one of the leading companies in environmental technology in Europe whose primary business is energy-from-waste
- a leading international infrastructure investor on various renewable energy transactions in Japan, including solar, offshore wind and biomass
- Comcast Corp. on its acquisition of a majority stake in Universal Studios Japan for US$1.5bn
- a Japanese multinational information technology and electronics corporation on its joint venture with Lenovo to create Japan’s largest PC group
- Pieroth Wein on the disposal of its Japanese wine business (Peiroth Japan K.K.) by way of an auction process to private equity firm Nippon Investment Company
- Chubb Limited, the world’s largest publicly traded P&C insurer, on the regulatory and integration matters for its US$28.3bn takeover of a P&C insurer, including mergers, court and regulator-approved portfolio transfers and amalgamations across Asia-Pacific and Latin America, which was then the largest ever insurance takeover
- leading Asian banking groups in Malaysia and Vietnam on their competitive auction processes for long-term exclusive general and life bancassurance and bancatakaful arrangements with Japanese and international insurers and takaful operators
Education and qualifications
Tracy studied law at the University of Melbourne, Australia.
Tracy speaks fluent English and Japanese.