Linklaters has been in Singapore for over 30 years. Being a central hub for activity across so many sectors and jurisdictions, our team advises clients in Singapore and across the wider South East Asia region.
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do and our team are working on some of the most unique and first-of-a-kind transactions and projects across the region, as new trends, transaction types and technologies emerge.
As one of the few international firms to be awarded a qualifying foreign law practice (QFLP) licence by the Singapore Ministry of Law, we practice Singapore law as well as English and U.S. law.
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- UBS as the first regulated financial institution to make an investment in EndowUs, as part of its ‘UBS Next’ initiative, which complements the bank’s innovation labs, digital factories and future of finance challenges to drive client experience and operational excellence.
- BondEvalue on the launch of an electronic platform facilitating fractional ownership of bonds, the BondbloX Bond Exchange. This is the world’s first blockchain-based fractional bond trading platform and the first trade of digital bonds.
- The Government of Malaysia on its issuance of US$800m trust certificates due 2031 and US$500m trust certificates due 2051. The joint offering achieved the highest ever oversubscription rate by the Government of Malaysia. The issuance is the world’s first sovereign sustainability sukuk, with the proceeds being used for eligible social and environmental projects.
- the joint lead arrangers and bookrunners on BYJU Group’s US$1.2bn New York law governed term loan B financing. This is India’s most valuable privately held start-up operating in the educational technology sector.
- Golden Wheel Tiandi Holdings Company Limited on the restructuring of three series of bonds with an aggregate principal amount of approximately. US$450m, implemented by way of a Cayman scheme arrangement. This is the first offshore debt restructuring of a Chinese property developer arising from the recent crisis in the Chinese real estate market that has been successfully implemented through a Cayman Scheme.
- the lenders on the US$700m financing to various subsidiaries of Adani Transmission Ltd, structured to fund up to US$1.1bn of capex for four under-construction transmission projects in Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- Citi on the sale of its five consumer banking franchises in Southeast Asia, including the sale of its Philippines franchise to Union Bank of the Philippines and the sale of its consumer banking franchises in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam to United Overseas Bank.
- Macquarie Asset Management, as part of a consortium, on its c.US$610m acquisition of a significant minority stake in Bersama Digital Infrastructure Asia Pte. Ltd., which holds a 62.4% stake in Indonesia-listed PT Tower Bersama Infrastructure Tbk., a leading independent telecom towers business in Indonesia. This is one of the largest foreign investments into the Indonesian digital infrastructure sector.
- Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) on its joint venture with the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) Enterprise to create Trust Bank, one of the first digital banks in Singapore, and on the marketing, distribution and banc assurance arrangements between Trust Bank and NTUC. The joint venture represents SCB’s second digital bank in Asia, following the launch of its first digital bank in Hong Kong SAR the year before.
Our renowned experience is recognised by the market:
“Linklaters is a one-stop shop for a lot of jurisdictions, including Vietnam and Indonesia, and generally South East Asia. [They are] recognised as a top choice for acquisition financing, refinancing and private equity matters for international lenders and corporates.”
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2023, Banking & Finance (International) Singapore
“Linklaters has a strong commercial understanding of different parties' concerns. The team is experienced and can provide quick solutions. The firm works in the best interest of the clients while not forgoing professional standards and principles”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia Pacific 2023, Capital markets (International firms) Singapore
“Linklaters provide top-level responsiveness and quality of work. They have market knowledge and industry knowledge, which is why we engage them. They can advise us on what is and isn’t market practice.”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia Pacific 2023, Corporate/M&A: International: The Elite Singapore
“Linklaters is always very professional and very quick to respond to requests and provide detailed responses on next steps...particularly during critical moments.”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2023, Employment (International Firms) Singapore