Energy and Infrastructure Partner, New York
“I advise lenders, project sponsors (including private equity funds) and other project participants on the structuring, financing and acquisition/divestment of complex domestic and cross-border matters that are financed on a limited recourse project finance basis. I have significant sector knowledge and support my clients in finding commercially creative solutions for their transactions.”
Education and qualifications
Andrew is a partner in the Global Energy and Infrastructure Group based in New York. He represents project sponsors (including private equity funds), commercial and direct lenders, international finance organizations and other project participants in a wide range of domestic and cross-border project financing and acquisition/divestment transactions, with particular emphasis on the power (including renewables) and energy transition sectors.
Andrew spent nearly a decade working in Asia, based in both Hong Kong and Tokyo, and has significant experience working with Asian-based trading companies, lenders and export credit agencies.
Andrew has been recognized by Chambers as an “up and comer” in the Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy category, Legal 500 U.S. as a recommended lawyer (including being listed on the Legal 500 US-Mexico “Powerlist”), IFLR1000 as a notable practitioner and Latin Lawyer as a highly recommended practitioner. Andrew is also ranked in Euromoney’s 2022 Expert Guide under Project Finance, which recognize individuals considered by peers and clients to be the best in their respective fields in the legal industry.
Andrew has led, or has been a key advisor, on many major project finance transactions. These include:
- Sixth Street Partners, Tor Investment Management and Corbin Capital on a mezzanine financing for the $1.3bn Trumbull natural gas-fired electric combined cycle power plant in Ohio.
- A consortium in connection with the ongoing development and financing of an offshore wind farm off the coast of Massachusetts
- Various bidders on the acquisition of offshore wind assets in the United States.
- Fluxys SA on its joint acquisition with EIG of GNL Quintero S.A., the largest liquified natural gas regasification terminal in Chile, from Enagas Chile SpA and OMERS Infrastructure.
- C2 Energy Capital: advising (a) on the development and financing of more than two dozen distributed generation solar portfolios across the U.S. and (b) the founders on the sale of the platform to EDP Renewables North America LLC.
- Lenzing AG and Duratex: advising on the development and IFC/IDB/Finnvera-led US$1.1bn financing of a dissolving wood pulp plant and biofuels power plant in Brazil.
- White Summit Capital and Riverstone Capital: advising on the acquisition of a portfolio of solar projects in Mexico.
Andrew’s other hallmark mandates include:
- Cape Wind offshore wind farm: advising Eksport Credit Fonden of Denmark and a consortium of commercial lenders on the proposed US$2.5bn development and financing of the Cape Wind offshore wind farm off the coast of Massachusetts, U.S.
- Sarulla geothermal power project: advising the consortium of PT Medco Indonesia, Itochu Corporation, Ormat International and Kyushu Electric Power Company on the US$1.6bn development and financing of the Sarulla geothermal power project in Indonesia, the largest geothermal project financing globally to date.
- Central Java power project: advising Japan Bank for International Cooperation and a consortium of commercial lenders on the US$4.3bn development and financing of the Central Java power project in Indonesia
Andrew is an active member in the New York community, and a frequent volunteer with Hope for New York and Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City. He is also an active participant in the firm’s pro bono program, and serves as the firm’s social impact partner in the Americas. Andrew also serves on the board of directors of Lawyers Alliance for New York.
Andrew frequently speaks at industry and client conferences.
Education and qualifications
Andrew’s recent publications include:
- “A mile marker on China’s One Belt One Road”, International Financial Law Review, June 2016
- “Official Funding Sources: Export Credit Agencies and Multilateral Development Banks”, International Project Finance – Law and Practice (Second Edition), Oxford University Press, 2015