Dr. Ingo Klauß
Competition Counsel, Düsseldorf
“I am an experienced competition lawyer, focusing on merger control and abuse of dominance issues under German and European law. I aim to provide clear, effective, pragmatic guidance to assist clients navigate complex issues, manage risk and run their businesses smoothly.”
Ingo represents and advises clients in merger control, cartel and abuse of dominance proceedings before the European Commission, the Bundeskartellamt (the Federal Cartel Office) and courts, as well as on competition law compliance.
Ingo has particular experience in the financial services, pharmaceuticals, network industries, IT/software, consumer goods, chemical and petrochemical industries, as well as in the private equity business.
Ingo was seconded to the firm’s London office for a year from 2007 to 2008.
Ingo has advised and represented clients in many major competition cases. These include:
- representing Deutsche Börse in merger control proceedings before the European Commission (London Stock Exchange 2016; NYSE Euronext 2011; Euronext 2006) and the Federal Cartel Office (360T)
- advising Vodafone on the takeover of Kabel Deutschland
- representing LetterOne on the acquisition of DEA by L1 Energy, as well as the subsequent acquisition of E.ON E&P Norge by DEA and the divestment of DEA UK E&P Holding
- representing and advising BP on the sector investigation into the German fuel distribution market, as well as in merger control and other proceedings before the European Commission and the Federal Cartel Office
- representing and advising Microsoft in merger control and other proceedings before the Federal Cartel Office
- representing and advising CIBA Vision/Alcon in proceedings before the Federal Cartel Office
- regularly advising Novartis Pharma, Hexal and INEOS on matters under EU and German competition law
Ingo is an active member of Mentor, an organisation that helps children with their reading.
Ingo is a member of Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht, an association of German-speaking competition lawyers that aims to advance competition law thinking and practice.
Ingo regularly contributes articles and commentaries to specialised legal journals, including the European Competition Law Review (ECLR), and comments in the German media. He also speaks regularly at conferences and seminars dealing with various competition law topics.
He wrote: ”Die Aufsicht über ein Gemeinsames Wettbewerbsgebiet - Grundlagen, Entwicklungslinien und Perspektiven der behördlichen Zusammenarbeit bei der Aufsicht über grenzüberschreitend wirkende Wettbewerbsbeschränkungen“ (Controlling a Common Competition Area - foundations, development and perspectives of the co-operation between competition authorities with regard to the control of restraints of competition with cross-border effect), Baden-Baden 2008.
Ingo studied law at the Universities of Osnabrück (Germany) and Leiden (The Netherlands), as well as working as a trainee/stagiaire at the Federal Cartel Office and at the European Commission. He holds a doctoral degree from the University of Osnabrück.
Ingo speaks German, English and Dutch.