Energy & Infrastructure Partner, Hong Kong SAR
“I am an energy and infrastructure specialist, with a particular focus on offshore wind and other renewable technologies, and ESG more broadly.”
Education and qualifications
Ying is an energy and infrastructure specialist with more than a decade of experience advising on project and structured financings, project developments, joint ventures and acquisitions/disposals across the power and oil & gas sectors.
Ying has been based in Hong Kong since 2012, and has advised on the development and financing of some of the most significant power and infrastructure projects across the region. This includes primary sponsor or lender side roles on over 3.3GW of offshore wind projects in Taiwan – see further details below. In addition to offshore wind, she has advised / is currently advising on other renewable energy developments in Taiwan, Japan, South Korea and Vietnam.
Ying also has extensive experience advising on energy and natural resources M&A transactions, in particular involving financial investors – see select highlights below.
Prior to Hong Kong, Ying was based in the firm’s London office for over 4 years. She has also spent time working in-house, including at a multinational energy supermajor and a leading Asian power developer.
Highlight experience includes:
- Solar refinancing: advising the lenders on BlackRock Real Assets’ NT$9.4bn (approximately US$328m) refinancing of a portfolio of 186MW of solar assets in Taiwan with a green loan facility
- Offshore wind financing: advising the sponsors on the ongoing financing of the Hai Long 2 and 3 projects; the lenders and ECAs (Atradius, Export Development Canada, EKF, K-SURE and UK Export Finance) on the approx. US$3bn holdco level financing of the Greater Changhua 1 project; certain ECAs on the approx. US$3bn project financing of the Changfang and Xidao projects; the lenders and ECAs (EKF, Credendo, K-sure and UK Export Finance) on the approx. US$2bn project financing of the Formosa 2 project; wpd AG on the €2.7bn project financing of the Yunlin project; and the lenders and EKF on the approx. US$600m project financing of the 128MW project
- Offshore wind M&A: advising Global Power Synergy Public Limited on its acquisition of a 25% interest in the Changfang and Xidao projects in Taiwan from CIP; a financial investor on its bid for an equity interest in the Hai Long projects in Taiwan; and Ørsted on its acquisition of a 35% interest in the Formosa 1 project in Taiwan
- FSRU to power: advising CLP on the development of an FSRU to power project in Hong Kong
- Conventional power: advising the sponsors on the development and project financing of the 1,200MW Vung Ang II IPP and the 1,980MW Vinh Tan 3 IPP
- Gas pipeline: advising NH Investment & Securities Co., Ltd. as part of a consortium of buyers on the signing of its investment into Abu Dhabi National Oil Company's natural gas pipelines in the UAE
Education and qualifications
Ying has a BA (Hons) in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from Oxford University. She subsequently studied law at Nottingham Law School and College of Law, London.
Ying is dual qualified in England & Wales and in Hong Kong SAR, and is fluent in English and Mandarin.