Corporate/M&A/Energy Of Counsel, Berlin
“I am an experienced energy lawyer, focusing on the full range of transactions for clients in the energy sector from mergers and acquisitions to project finance, as well as on the complex and constantly changing EU and German regulatory requirements.”
Christopher advises energy companies and financial institutions on mergers and acquisitions, power plant projects, joint ventures and regulatory matters in the energy sector. In particular, he has extensive experience advising on the sale and acquisition of gas and electricity transmission system operators and oil & gas exploration and production (E&P) companies and on energy infrastructure projects such as pipelines, power lines and power plants, including nuclear power plants.
In addition, he has specialist prowess in German and EU energy regulation, such as on the regulatory environment associated with the separation of energy generation and production from transmission (“unbundling”).
Previously, Christopher spent almost eight years in the firm’s Prague and Warsaw offices, where he advised extensively on privatisation programmes in Central and Eastern Europe, especially in the energy and automotive sectors.
Christopher has advised on many major energy deals. These include advising:
- Stadtwerke München and Bayerngas on their joint venture with Centrica to combine Bayerngas Norge’s and Centrica’s oil and gas exploration and production businesses in Denmark, The Netherlands, Norway and the UK. When completed, the joint venture will be one of the top five European E&P operators
- Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund 3 on the indirect sale of its shares in Thyssengas, an operator of a German gas transmission network, to a consortium of the infrastructure fund management company DIF Infrastructure and EDF Invest
- RWE Power on the participation in a project company for the proposed development, construction and operation of two additional units of the Cernavoda nuclear power plant in Romania
- L1 Energy on the acquisition of RWE Dea from RWE, a business comprising oil and gas exploration and production assets in 14 countries as well as three gas storages in Germany
- RWE Innogy on the sale of 85% of the offshore wind farm project Nordsee One to Canadian investor Northland Power
- NRG Energy on the sale of Saale Energie and the related sale of an intra-group company loan to Energetický a průmyslový holding, Czech Republic
- Storengy on the acquisition of five underground gas storage facilities, making Storengy the largest gas storage business in Europe
Christopher regularly speaks at conferences and seminars, notably at the Florence School of Regulation, a research centre supported by Linklaters.
Christopher writes on energy issues, and his articles include:
“The Trans-Adriatic Pipeline - A Use Case of the Acquis Communautaire of Energy”, Oil, Gas & Energy Law Intelligence, April 2014, with Julia Sack
“Comparison of Certain Regulatory Frameworks - Germany, France and Norway (Vergleich einzelner Regulierungssysteme - Deutschland, Frankreich und Norwegen) in Hydro Power Plant Projects - Legal, Technical and Economic Aspects (Wasserkraftprojekte - Rechtliche, technische und Wirtschaftliche Aspekte), 2014
Christopher studied law at the Universities of Mannheim and Freiburg and gained a master’s degree in law (LL.M.) at the George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
He speaks German and English.
1992 – Admission in Germany (Rechtsanwalt)