Linklaters has been in Singapore for over 30 years. Being a central hub for activity across so many sectors and jurisdictions, our team advises clients in Singapore and across the wider South East Asia region.
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do and our team are working on some of the most unique and first-of-a-kind transactions and projects across the region, as new trends, transaction types and technologies emerge.
As one of the few international firms to be awarded a qualifying foreign law practice (QFLP) licence by the Singapore Ministry of Law, we practice Singapore law as well as English and U.S. law.
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- Standard Chartered Bank on its joint venture with the National Trades Union Congress Enterprise, and on the subsequent successful application by the joint venture entity for a full bank licence to continue digital banking. This is one of only five digital bank licences awarded by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- UBS as the first regulated financial institution to make an investment in EndowUs, as part of its ‘UBS Next’ initiative, which complements the bank’s innovation labs, digital factories and future of finance challenges to drive client experience and operational excellence.
- BondEvalue on the launch of an electronic platform facilitating fractional ownership of bonds, the BondbloX Bond Exchange. This is the world’s first blockchain-based fractional bond trading platform and the first trade of digital bonds.
- ACME Solar Holdings Private Limited on the issuance of senior high yield notes under Regulation S and Rule 144A, using Mauritian orphan special purpose vehicle, India Cleantech Energy.
- AXA and Affin Bank Berhad on the sale of their Malaysian insurance operation, AXA Affin General Insurance (AAGI), to Generali for MYR 688m. Alongside this, Generali proposed to acquire the remaining shares of MPI Generali Insurans Berhad (MPIG), with the business of MPIG proposed to be transferred to AAGI. Following completion, Affin Bank will have a 30% stake in AAGI and AXA Affin Life Insurance. With a total deal value of MYR 1.3bn, this transaction is one of the largest insurance deals in Malaysia in recent years.
- The Government of Malaysia on its issuance of US$800m trust certificates due 2031 and US$500m trust certificates due 2051. The joint offering achieved the highest ever oversubscription rate by the Government of Malaysia. The issuance is the world’s first sovereign sustainability sukuk, with the proceeds being used for eligible social and environmental projects.
- DBS Bank Ltd and DBS Group Holdings Ltd on their US$30bn global medium term note programme and the subsequent drawdowns thereunder, in particular the issuance of £1bn series 10 by DBS Bank.
- the joint lead arrangers and bookrunners on BYJU Group’s US$1.2bn New York law governed term loan B financing. This is India’s most valuable privately held start-up operating in the educational technology sector.
- Golden Wheel Tiandi Holdings Company Limited on the restructuring of three series of bonds with an aggregate principal amount of approximately. US$450m, implemented by way of a Cayman scheme arrangement. This is the first offshore debt restructuring of a Chinese property developer arising from the recent crisis in the Chinese real estate market that has been successfully implemented through a Cayman Scheme.
Our renowned experience is recognised by the market:
“The team delivers high-quality service in a client-friendly and accessible way. They are recognised as a top choice for acquisition financing, refinancing and private equity matters for international lenders and corporates.”
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Banking & Finance (International) Singapore
“Linklaters' legal team is one of the leading law firms for capital markets across jurisdictions in the Asia-Pacific region, with a really strong and client-focused team that is well connected with issuers and banks.”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia Pacific 2022, Capital markets (International firms) Singapore
“Linklaters is a popular choice for multinational corporations, banks, private equity investors and early-stage businesses. They are accessible and on top of the file, and they have open interactions with the client about commercial matters.”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia Pacific 2022, Corporate/M&A (International firms) Singapore
“The team is extremely professional and experienced in providing employment advice in relation to major M&A transactions and employee incentive schemes.”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Employment (International Firms) Singapore