Capital Markets Partner, Amsterdam
"I advise on capital markets transactions, using my finance background alongside my legal expertise to offer straightforward and practical advice.”
Education and qualifications
Pim heads the Debt Capital Markets practice in the firm’s Amsterdam office. He is qualified as an advocaat in the Netherlands and a solicitor in England and Wales. With a Finance MBA and first-hand experience of investment banking, Pim acts for underwriters and issuers, focusing on debt capital markets transactions across the products’ range, from straight debt programmes and issuances via equity-linked and corporate hybrid issues to bank and insurance regulatory capital products.
Pim joined Linklaters in 2004 as its first Dutch partner to establish the Dutch law practice in the Amsterdam office. Before becoming a lawyer, Pim worked for five years in merchant banking, at the Netherlands’ oldest bank MeesPierson in its Amsterdam and London offices, focusing on corporate finance and capital markets.
Pim has been advising on a variety of capital markets deals. Examples include:
- Dutch insurance company NN Group: advising on the IPO
- ING: advising on its debt capital markets funding and regulatory capital issues
- Achmea, Aegon, ASR, Atradius, Credit Europe Bank: advising on bank or insurance regulatory capital issues
- KPN, Eneco, TenneT, FrieslandCampina: advising on corporate hybrid issuances
- the Dutch State, NN Group and Bank, de Volksbank, Heineken, KPN, TenneT, Enexis, FrieslandCampina, Wolters Kluwer: advising on commercial paper or medium term note programmes and debt issuances
- the Dutch State: advising on the debut and second U.S. dollar bond issuances
Pim is the editor-in-chief (hoofdredacteur) of the leading Dutch financial law review (Tijdschrift voor Financieel Recht) and in that capacity reviews articles submitted for publication. He teaches the Primary Markets module in the Financial Law programme of the post-academic Grotius Academy in Nijmegen, where he also sits as an examiner.
Education and qualifications
Pim studied Dutch law at the University of Leiden and then for an MBA at the Rotterdam School of Management, including an exchange term at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, USA, focusing on finance. He qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales through the College of Law, London, QLTT.
He speaks Dutch, English and German.
Selected articles Pim has written (mostly in Dutch) include:
- Light disclosure regime for secondary issuances, in: "Prospectus Regulation and Prospectus Liability", Oxford University Press, 2020, p. 243-266.
- Niet-preferent concurrent, ofwel lager in rang maar niet achtergesteld, Maandblad voor Vermogensrecht, 2020, nr. 11, p. 401-407
- Coco’s, Ondernemingsrecht 2015/9, 65
- Bouwstenen van kapitaalinstrumenten, in Lustrumbundel 2012 Vereniging voor Effectenrecht, Serie vanwege het Van der Heijden Instituut deel 113, p. 379-388
- Obligatieleningen (delen I en II), Bank- en Effectenbedrijf, juni 1999, p. 42-45, en juli/augustus 1999, p. 44-48