Dispute Resolution Partner, Hong Kong
“I advise on large-scale investigations, commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings, with a particular focus on financial regulatory matters. I strive to provide advice that is clear, practical and takes full account of the commercial environment in which clients are operating.”
Education and qualifications
Denise has extensive experience in complex commercial litigation, arbitration and contentious investigations.
Denise regularly represents leading financial institutions in enforcement investigations conducted by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, the Securities and Futures Commission and the Independent Commission Against Corruption. She has particular expertise in complex, multijurisdictional matters and has acted on internal and external investigations involving Hong Kong and overseas enforcement authorities, including those in the United Kingdom, Singapore, and the United States.
Denise also advises on a broad range of commercial litigation and arbitration matters, including joint venture and shareholder disputes (often involving listed companies), mis-selling, and applications for urgent interim relief.
Highlights of her experience include:
- acting for Moody’s in relation to enforcement action taken by the SFC, including proceedings before the Securities and Futures Appeal Tribunal and Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal
- advising financial institutions in relation to issues arising out of their role as sponsors in initial public offerings, including defending against regulatory investigations and collective compensation proceedings
- leading an internal investigation for a global bank into allegations of inappropriate disclosure of inside information covering the US, UK, Singapore and Hong Kong
- representing The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited on a series of interlocutory injunction and strike out applications relating to Siberian Mining Group
- acting for a leading investment bank on multijurisdictional enforcement proceedings in relation to the Rightway Group
- co-ordinating the investigation into and advising a global conglomerate on legal and commercial strategy in connection with a potential product recall
- advising and representing clients on submissions to the Hong Kong Privacy Commissioner in relation to the protection of customer data
- acting for an international financial institution on potential foreign exchange trading misconduct, including associated regulatory and civil class actions in the US, UK and Asia Pacific
- advising a number of global investment and retail banks in respect of mis-selling claims arising out of the sales of Lehman-related structured products and other investment products, including acting for the Bank of East Asia (Hong Kong) on the HK$6.3bn Lehman minibond settlement
Education and qualifications
University of Oxford, B.A. (Hons) Jurisprudence.
The University of Hong Kong, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws.