Linklaters has a formal association with Widyawan & Partners (W&P), one of Indonesia's leading full-service law firms, specialising in Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate M&A and Projects & Infrastructure.
W&P currently has over 20 qualified lawyers, led by a team of three partners and two foreign legal advisors. The lawyers have a deep understanding of both the Indonesian and international market, having worked with many of Indonesia’s largest corporations and multinational firms on their strategic transactions.
Linklaters has long-standing international experience working on significant, complex, global transactions for multinational clients, combining legal expertise with a collaborative and innovative approach to help them navigate the constantly evolving markets and regulatory environments. The Linklaters and W&P formal association allows us to deliver market-leading international and Indonesian law capabilities and exceptional client service in a streamlined manner. Our combined expertise boasts a strong record of executing transactions in Indonesia, coupled with an excellent working knowledge of the Indonesian legal and regulatory environment.
Recent significant transactions of the formal association include advising:
- Inpex Masela on the development and financing of its LNG project in Masela Block, Eastern Indonesia.
- DP World on the development and operation of a US$1.2bn integrated container terminal and industrial logistics park in Gresik, Indonesia, and the related joint venture arrangements with Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and PT Pelabuhan Indonesia Maspion.
- PT Centratama Telekomunikasi Tbk and its subsidiaries on a US$850m equivalent syndicated financing for the purpose of financing the acquisition of shares in PT EPID Menara AssetCo, a major telecommunication tower provider in Indonesia.
- PT Indonesia Asahan Aluminium (Persero) as borrower on the US$1.5bn syndicated loan.
- the initial purchasers on the offering of 144A/Reg S US$3bn senior notes by PT Freeport Indonesia, a subsidiary of one of the world's leading mining companies. This is the largest US dollar bonds issuance in Indonesia in 2022.
- Inpex Geothermal on its acquisition of a 10% indirect interest in the Muara Laboh Geothermal Power Project in Indonesia.
- Macquarie Asset Management, via Macquarie Asia-Pacific Infrastructure Fund 3, as part of a consortium comprising Provident Capital and PT Saratoga Investama Sedaya Tbk., on its acquisition of a minority stake in Bersama Digital Infrastructure Asia Pte. Ltd. for approximately US$610m.
- EdgePoint Infrastructure, a DigitalBridge-backed platform, on its acquisition and takeover of PT Centratama Telekomunikasi Indonesia Tbk (CENT), one of Indonesia’s leading telecommunications infrastructure solution and services providers.
Our renowned experience is recognised by the market:
"They are able to offer its clients local law advice through an association with Widyawan & Partners. They have extensive experience across banking and finance, capital markets, corporate issues and dispute resolution in addition to their notable experience in project finance work, spanning the power, oil and gas.”
Band 2 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Corporate & Finance: Indonesia
“Advising both local and international clients, they regularly handle the development, finance and transactions, as well as bidding processes for transportation infrastructure projects. They’re also experts acting for Indonesian power and mining companies, as well as international investors.”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Projects & Energy (Widyawan & Partners)
“Widyawan & Partners works as one firm with Linklaters, making cross-border work much easier for clients, and it has in-depth knowledge of Indonesia in terms of practical challenges and considerations that we should consider. They’re well versed in handling deals in the telecoms, natural resources and food and beverage sectors. "
Band 2 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022, Banking & Finance (Widyawan & Partners)