Lothar Van Driessche
Senior Energy Lawyer, Brussels
Advocaat (Member of the Brussels Bar)
Part of the Brussels Real Estate & Development practice and the Global Projects group.
Involved in transactional work, focused on public and private infrastructure projects (PPP/PFI) and specialised in Belgian and European energy regulation.
Combining a sound expertise in energy, construction and public law, risk analysis, project and infrastructure finance (PPP/PFI) in general, with a detailed knowledge about the functioning of energy markets and network infrastructure (power & gas), including interconnectors, network tariffs and capacity remuneration mechanisms.
Specific experience in risk analysis, negotiating and drafting contracts for PPPs/PFIs based on several types of contractual structures (DBM, DBFM, DBFMO, EPC, D&B, MTC).
Law and practice areas: EU and Belgian energy law and regulation, construction law, public and private infrastructure projects (PPP/PFI, renewable power production and network infrastructure), public procurement and government contracting, real estate finance and financial leasing, securities, commercial and international trade law (including incoterms).
Sector areas: energy & utilities, public infrastructure & transport, banks and investment funds.
Published and co-edited various publications on topics of European and Belgian energy regulation and project finance. Regularly delivering seminars and contributing to recurring publications including the Journal on the Law of Network Industries (RDIR/TRNI) and the Energy Yearbook published annually by the Flemish Association for Energy Law (VlaVER) in cooperation with the Institute for Environmental and Energy Law of the K.U. Leuven and Intersentia.
Accredited national expert at Getting The Deal Through (Belgium chapters – Energy Disputes 2017, Electricity Regulation 2018, 2019 and 2020).
- April 2018 – present – Senior Energy Lawyer, Linklaters, Brussels
- January 2019 – March 2019 – Senior Overseas Practitioner, Allens, Sydney
- October 2017 – December 2018 – Overseas Practitioner, Allens, Sydney
- March 2012 – September 2017 – Associate, Linklaters, Brussels
- October 2011 – February 2012 – Trainee, European Commission D-G Energy, Unit A.1 – General Energy Policy, Brussels
- 2010–2011 Freie Universität Berlin (Free University of Berlin), Master of Business, Competition and Regulatory Law (LL.M-MBL)
- 2008–2010 Universiteit Gent (Ghent University), Master of Laws
- 2005–2008 Universiteit Gent (Ghent University), Bachelor of Laws
Dutch, English, French, German
- October 2018 – “Electricity Regulation 2019 – Belgium” in John Dewar (ed.), Getting The Deal Through
- March 2017 - "Energy Disputes 2017 - Belgium" in William D. Wood, Neil Q. Miller, Lauren H. Brogdon and Holly Stebbing (eds.), Getting The Deal Through
- April 2016 - "Unbundling en de gemeentelijke participaties in de energiemarkt" in K. Deketelaere en B. Delvaux, Jaarboek Energierecht 2015, Antwerpen, Intersentia, 2016, 157-206
- April 2015 - "Tussen droom en daad. Het Europese kader voor capaciteitsmechanismen" in K. Deketelaere en B. Delvaux, Jaarboek Energierecht 2014, Antwerpen, Intersentia, 2015, 1-49
- April 2014 - “Belgische kader van toepassing op de elektriciteits- en gasmarkt – EU’s mini me?” in K. Wauters, B. Delvaux & B. Vanheusden (eds.), Invloed van het EU-recht op het Belgische bestuursrecht, Die Keure, Brugge, 2014,187-263
- June 2013 - “A New Legal Framework for EU Energy Infrastructure Development and Finance”, Renewable Energy Law and Policy Review (RELP) / Lexxion, volume 4, 2013-1