Head of U.S. Restructuring and Insolvency, New York
Margot heads our U.S. Restructuring & Insolvency practice and is a widely acknowledged market-leading restructuring and bankruptcy lawyer. Through an in-depth understanding of her clients’ business goals, Margot offers financial institutions, funds and asset managers creative solutions in complex debt restructurings, litigation, bankruptcy matters and asset sale transactions. She proactively identifies legal issues and risks, proposes innovative approaches, and builds consensus around resolutions for clients in the U.S. and abroad.
Margot advises on all aspects of bankruptcy and creditors' rights litigation. She also prepares and negotiates complex corporate documents and organizes and manages large lender syndicates. She has particular knowledge of the structured products, financial services, energy, online marketing, retail, cable and broadcast, telecommunications, manufacturing, mining, and health care industries. She has considerable experience representing financial institutions in cases involving oil and gas, merchant and midstream energy, coal, chemical and solar energy businesses.
Margot has served a critical role as lead counsel to major financial institutions in many complex Chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings. Her recent representative matters include advising:
- the administrative agent to the senior secured revolving and term loan lenders to Chicago Bridge & Iron Company NV
- a major U.S. financial institution in connection with its exposure to an independent servicer and originator of mortgage loans
- an ad hoc committee of secured and unsecured lenders in connection with the restructuring of a regional food company in South America
- the administrative agent for the senior secured lender group in the prearranged Chapter 11 case of Memorial Production Operating LLC (now known as Amplify Energy Corp.)
- the administrative agent for the senior secured lender group in the prepackaged 36-day Chapter 11 case of Atlas Resource Partners L.P. (now known as Titan Energy, LLC)
- the administrative agent for the senior secured lender group in the highly litigious Chapter 11 cases of Sabine Oil & Gas and its affiliated debtors
- the administrative agent for the senior secured lender group to Total Terminals International, LLC, with respect to an out-of-court restructuring necessitated by Hanjin Shipping’s corporate rehabilitation proceeding in Korea and Chapter 15 proceeding in the U.S.
- a global financial institution with respect to its senior secured vessel loans in the Chapter 11 cases of the Greek shipping company Toisa Ltd.
Margot has been recognized as a leading practitioner in Chambers Global since 2004 and Chambers USA since its inception in 2003. Chambers has noted that she is “one of the most talented bank-side lawyers operating in the New York market,” an “excellent negotiator,” and she provides “sterling counsel to an array of parties subject to complex bankruptcy proceedings.” Margot has also been listed in Expert Guides, Best Lawyers in America since 2006, the Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law, and New York Magazine’s "The New York Area’s Best Lawyers." In 2013, she was named “Best in Insolvency & Restructuring” at Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Americas Women in Business Law Awards.
Margot obtained an undergraduate degree from Smith College and holds a Juris Doctor from the American University Washington College of Law.